Thursday, July 14, 2011

raspberry summer

my friends let me pick berries in their AMAZING BACKYARD the other day

IMG_3380

IMG_3382

IMG_3394

spy the beehive behind the currant grove:

IMG_3385

IMG_3379

IMG_3396

this backyard is totally like the most epic secret-garden-perfect-backyard ever, totally overgrown (despite jeff's constant pruning and work- i've seen him! he works all the time back there!) it's exactly the kind of yard i fantasize about but would never, ever, have the energy to keep up on.

here are some awesome cakes that my friend sammy decorated for the bakery!



sammy's hipster cakes

she's really into geometric patterns and mathy art and cool universe stuff and YACHT and cool things like that, haha! i thought these cakes reminded me of cool 70's sweaters. they all sold really fast!

speaking of the bakery i get these weird faces on the bottom of my naked portafilter a lot:

oh no!

i don't know if i have it in me to explain a naked portafilter to non-coffee nerds but basically there is NO WAY for me to force a face to show up, it's a drip pattern that happens ALL BY ITSELF and it happens at least a couple of times a day. sometimes i get a perfect little smiley face, too. it's really weird/awesome. the only embarrassing thing is that if you ARE enough of a coffee nerd to know what this thing is, then you know that the only way i could get a face to show up is to not clean out my portafilter long enough for the drip pattern to dry on the bottom of the basket. SHHHH.

HERE IS THE WORLD'S MOST PERFECT SNACK:

snack perfection

dried black mission figs, raw almonds, a hunk of raw milk cheese, and a macchiato.



i have been drawing a lot and doing more tattoos.

speaking of tattoos i went ahead and started a special tattoo blog where i will post some of the tattoos that i do! http://alicetattoo.blogspot.com tadaaaa!

the last few days have been cool and i'm hoping it will heat back up. give me muggy or give me death! i want to really look forward to october, you know what i mean?

22 comments:

Marisa said...

Ahahaha. I was totally thinking that the filter needed to be cleaned desperately as soon as I saw your photo. Maybe I'll let mine go a little long and see if I get any rad faces.

Irene said...

i love raspberries - the second picture is gorgeous!

qousqous said...

mmmmacchiato

Mophie said...

FIIIIIINALLY an update!!! I know there is a huge archive of posts and I have been studying(heheh)those, but I did want to see something new show up at some point. I just didn't want to bug you about posting something since I know you've gotten plenty of that :-D It's faster to read than to write....

kate said...

been droolin' over your tattoos over on flickr. nicely done!

oh, and don't consider the portafilter to be dirty...just "well seasoned". heh.

Lily.Dance said...

I did some berry picking the other day at my aunts, She had cherries as well which were Devine with a dollop of natural yoghurt! Didnt post about it as I have only just started though!

megcjones said...

love these photos! i worked in coffee shops for so long and i never got a face like that - i'm a little jealous, not gonna lie.

littlesarahbigworld said...

Go you!

Lisa-Marie said...

Please expalin the portafilter? I assume you put coffee in and stick in top of a cup, but how does it work? Do I need one for my coffee loving husband?

Those cakes are frickin amazing!!!

Alicia Lynn Carrier said...

this should explain the portafilter:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=portafilter

andurejka said...

beautiful photos! :))

Amish Stories said...

I love raspberries as well, and i prefer jam over jelly. Richard from Amish Stories.

The Ponycats said...

what a great backyard, and you're right the pattern totally looks like a 70s sweater!!
I love your blog, I'm trying out a couple of recipes a week, and learning all I can by myself, and I'm planning on trying out your pizza recipe among others (:
have a great day!
-Sandra Ponycat
from: http://pony-cat.blogspot.com/

robert said...

I really enjoy you raspberry post. I'm currently on vaction in Petersburg, Alaska. I'm going on a wild berry picking trip in the morning. I'll be sure to post picture and new recipes on my blog. Of course it may take a few days. Due to the vaction.

SoniaB said...

I adore the picture of the little girl in the berry bushes. I immediately thought of the film "The Secret Garden". Just beautiful.

Melis said...

delicious! you take great pictures :)

Cindi said...

Only people from the Northwest would post about an espresso drip thingie. :) I love me some coffee too but did not see the face until you pointed it out. :) How cute!

Great blog! I'm a new reader.

cindiandchrisphotography.com/blog

elenareviews said...

I am a berries girl! I love raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, cranberries....and I love white chocolate with raspberry.

Laura said...

This is amazing :]

Laura

www.patchworkimpressions.blogspot.com

Laura said...

This is amazing :]

Laura

www.patchworkimpressions.blogspot.com

Carol Egbert said...

Raspberries and coffee - a complete meal.

I hope you'll visit my blog, www.carolegbert.com and red about organic vegetables.

Curiositotally said...

Those berries look divine, wild for the win! And those geometric cakes are really modern/fresh, I may have to experiment with this idea for the next cake. Can't wait to scan your blog!