Sunday, March 20, 2011

living the dream

IMG_0649

Sometimes you go to a wild-game-burger cart and you bump into a friend who is hanging out with his friend from Seattle and she sees you and is all "OMG! I READ YOUR BLOG!" before even extending her hand to say hello and introduce yourself. And you are like, MAN THAT IS HILARIOUS and then you take a picture of her and put it on your blog.

Sometimes your friend gets his personal catch phrase tattooed on the palm of his hand:

IMG_0647

Sometimes you wear the same band tshirt to work as your boss:

sword sisters

Sometimes you go to the Asian superstore to buy another fermentation jar and you come home with a cute little $1.49 teacup

IMG_0576

Sometimes you spend your day-off mornings in coffee shops with your son, drawing and drinking americanos.

IMG_0501

Sometimes you decide that since you make kimchi differently every time you try a new batch, that you're too lazy to ever post a recipe on your food blog, but you heartily recommend the book Wild Fermentation as a resource:

IMG_0281

I wish I could be all posi in here like I always am and be like OH GOD LIFE IS SO RAD I AM JUST TOO BUSY TO UPDATE MY FOOD BLOG! EVERY SECOND RULES AND I AM JUST TOO BUSY HAVING FUN TO DO ANYTHING ELSE! But actually the last few months have been kind of rough for us just in terms of illness and general grumps and feeling like THE WORLD IS ENDING A LITTLE BIT and then that stupid fucking supermoon came and made everyone I know crazy and grumpy for DAYYYYS. And so all that sucked.

But, the good news is, I woke up real chipper this morning and I am feeling pretty goddamn great about things now. So, hello again! JK everything totally does rule!

23 comments:

mariclare said...

yeah i hear you. everything is making me crazy right now.

Kavey said...

But but but the supermoon was so... SUPER!

Sorry things are crazy, loved the post though1

Love_Again said...

'Living The Dream' is a mantra of mine also..

..hopin' the supermoon craziness wears off soon (i haven't been experiencing it myself).

gbf said...

love your work...said with an australian accent!

Claire said...

Happy Spring! I love that you make Kimchi, I absolutely love the stuff! I hope your life goes back to being just too damned rad, but that you post about it, too. You're blog is great.
XO,
Claire

Dashfield Vintage said...

Man I love your honesty! I've been feeling the same way about the world in general... and that MOON, aghh it kept me awake for nights!

Jen said...

I know what you mean when you say things have been rough lately, but isnt THAT living the dream? Its one rough, ill (not in the ghetto way),grumpy ass dream.

I love your blog though, you're real and i like that!

Jon said...

I couldn't even find that damn super moon until it was already way up in the sky, looking like a regular moon. Psh...

zachary adam evans, wizard for hire said...

I loved the moon. It helped me live the dream even more.

Catherine said...

Just curious- was the Asian megamarket Uwajimaya? I cannot go into that place w/o leaving with 10 things not on my list. They are also the only place to get white wines created specifically for sushi. My favorite is Oroya.

p.s. the moon thing is true. I have been a serious bitch lately. more so than usual.

Alicia Lynn Carrier said...

no, it was fubonn.

PrairieGarden-Liane said...

great post and you have my favorite teapot. Well... you and lots of other people, but it's still fun to see.

hope the upcoming months are better :-)

Lisa-Marie said...

Cool photos. I have many, many 'fcuk off world' moments. I don't know if it comes across in my blog but I do.

arolleston said...

Thank you so much for the recommendation on Kimchi! I've been trying to find a decent recipe to follow, as my last two attemps have been disasterous.

Crows'nsquirrels said...

Worrying about the people in Japan and eating tons of miso and seaweed 'cause I'm a bit worried about the rest of the world getting irradiated, too.
Hey, tell your friend that I know he's livin' the dream, but I miss his blog still.

Lo said...

Been there. And because of that, I absolutely LOVE this post. It's a huge reminder of why I read your blog -- not just for talk of food and recipes and such, but for all that deliciously human authenticity.

Hope the dream starts feeling a bit more real very soon!

naomemandeflores said...

Great post! I adore that sweet teacup. I would tottaly buy it too!


Camila F.

barbara said...

I second that, Crows'nsquirrels ..his blog is super amazing and I want it to come back from the dead.

William Rose said...

So much to do, so little time. Just don't forget about us! ;)

katcameronillustration said...

hahah, crazy supermoon, i got married on that day :) it always weirds me out that everyone in the world gets to see/experience the same moon on the same day no matter where you are in the world. that makes me more crazy than supermoon :)

Cherry the Chef said...

I really like your blog...beautiful!

Pacific College Mom said...

Your world is freaking awesome! And yea, illness sucks wads. I can relate cause I'm riding that illness train meself... We gotta be indignant about it together!

Rave through the darkness!!

Caroline said...

Wild Fermentation is such a great book. Just found your blog and I love your humor. Making my way up to Portland this coming weekend and my husband and I are food cart lovers ... what are some of your favorite carts if you don't mind sharing. Can't wait to read more of your posts.