Friday, February 25, 2011

perfect snacks

three almonds shoved inside of a dried black mission fig. I COULD EAT THIS AS AN ENTIRE MEAL. Actually the other day, I did. For lunch I just ate a big handful of almonds and an even bigger handful of figs. It ruled.

perfect magic snack

bird in the hole

I recently made my son a bird in the hole for the first time. He's not super sold on it but he's more of a scrambled egg kind of kid. You know, that ingrained OCD that all toddlers have. OH MY GOD IT'S MORE THAN ONE COLOR!!!! I CANNOT EAT IT IF THE COLORS ARE TOUCHING BUT NOT MIXED TOGETHERRRRR!!!!

shooters of ethiopian honey (brought back by a friend) and water & apple cider vinegar:

shooters

a pretty jar of dried spirulina at my sister's house:

spirulina jar at my sister's house

i've been drinking a lot of green kombuchas. i had some at dinner tonight and my husband told me it looked like i was drinking my paint water. he was totally right, haha. i need to get some spirulina to have around for smoothies.

bee wreath

lattes and drawing, almost every day.

2011 is off to a weird start and is it already march? what the hell? i haven't planted ANYTHING. it snowed yesterday. (i've heard people jokingly refer to it as 'snow-verreaction 2011.' the closed the schools and everything for a lousy 2 inches of snow.)

let me tell you about what i had for dinner tonight, it was brown rice with roasted vegetables (daikon, broccoli, yellow squash, zucchini, carrot), fried eggs, and homemade kimchi. with sriracha. and a small glass of green kombucha. WHAT'S THAT SMELL OH IT IS MY HAIRY STINKY HIPPIE ARMPITS NO BIG DEAL. I ATE BAREFOOT WITH MY LEGS CROSSED AND A LOOK OF SMUG SATISFACTION ON MY FACE, WHY DO YOU CARE. ISN'T THAT WHAT HIPPIES DO?

oh yeah and for lunch i had a whole grain english muffin with avocado, ham, and raw milk cheddar.

...

shit like THAT is why i stopped posting recipes on here, for the most part. tastespotting does not give a shit about my sloppy hippie chow (EVEN THOUGH IT WAS DELICIOUS). however, did you notice the part where i said "homemade kimchi?" yeah, i made some. i'll probably go ahead and post about that later this week.

24 comments:

serialkiller said...

I love this post! mostly cause you said "sloppy hippy chow". Just don't trip over your pubic hair now.

lorena said...

i'm more of a "shove one almond into a medjool date" kinda chick...and yes i too can kill a bag of almonds and a package of dates in no time.

liz said...

at least your diet is balanced and varied. basically i've been eating nothing but oatmeal. rolled, steel cut, some chai spice mix here, a little almond extract there... yeah. probably should do something different.

Crows'nsquirrels said...

I was just going to ask you to share your kimchi recipe- thanks in advance.

darah said...

so i discovered last weekend that it's kind of easy to make the egg in a basket scrambled. and as long as you don't stir it up too much at the end it is easy to flip, etc. my kid was super thrilled because she is the same ocd why isn't it scrambled? omg i can't eat it!

but i can't get her to eat hippie chow to save my life. blows.

cindy* said...

figs and almonds are a great snack...plus cheese.
also, i love kimchi. i'm korean though...so it's sort of a preset.

notjenny said...

Sloppy hippy chow wins always...I had quinoa, kale, yams, and parsnip with nutritional yeast and a poached egg the other night, and it was the best. Love my food messy, mixed together, and in bowls.

Annie said...

gorgeous drawings!

Luka said...

We love raw almond butter in our dates-so yummy, nice to know there are other sloppy hippy chow makin' mom's out there!!

Robyn MacLarty said...

Haha, loved this post & look forward to exploring the rest of your blog... In SA we call it 'toad in the hole' - not sure why, must ask etymology.com. My dad made kimchi once. Just sahring. Aaaanyway.

Robyn MacLarty said...

Haha, loved this post & look forward to exploring the rest of your blog... In SA we call it 'toad in the hole' - not sure why, must ask etymology.com. My dad made kimchi once. Just sahring. Aaaanyway.

Nancy said...

Happy to commune with fellow hippie chow lovers. Grain bean greens meals are where it's at for me, especially after perusing the bulk dry goods aisle at the health food store.

A said...

Relatively new reader (< 6 months), but I really like how you’ve embraced the “self-aware” (finger quotes) indie/hippie post-ironic blog fodder.

Dawn said...

Your lunch is my most favorite meal in the whole world. And you're seriously the coolest chick I 'know'. Love when you post!

Eileen said...

screw tastespotting, give us the kimchi! KIMCHI.

Jenn Sutherland said...

"Sloppy hippy chow" and "screw tastespotting" - it is SO good to have you back, Alicia! You always make me smile. Bring on the hippy chow!

dj said...

as a Korean, I would too love your personal kimchi recipe!

Corrine/Frock And Roll said...

Y-U-M! All of this looks positively DELICIOUS!

Jon said...

I'm making kimchi jigae right now. Wussup? You should be making some, too.

Trashmaster46 said...

I'd been making honey/vodka lately (50/50), but hadn't heard of honey, water, & apple cider vinegar.
If you're looking to expand your kimchi-fu, "Salt, Fire & Time" does classes on fermenting, among other things. I took a neat workshop on it from them.

Nicki said...

How have i only just discovered your blog? Love it. Great humour.

(Sprinzette @ Ginger and Almonds)

Megan said...

Oh I love that fig and almond snack idea, I'm going to have to try that!

Kenon said...

Homemade kimchi..... your bad ass lol.... Yeah 2011 is pretty weird. I'm in Colorado and its snowing in March, only for a few seconds but how the heck can you plant something when it snows for 2 hours and dries up within 20 minutes?

Tabitha said...

I love your blog! I just started my own blog a few days ago and I have been looking at other blogs and yours has been my favorite! If you have some time check out mine! www.seriouslyyum.blogspot.com! can't wait to see what you post next!