Wednesday, July 14, 2010

fridge pickles.

IMG_3522

IMG_3518

Now, the plan is to get to canning some pickles at some point this summer, but my garden hasn't been providing the epic bounty I've fantasized over for so many months. We're getting handfuls of vegetables here and there, but it's nothing to go bonkers over. My bush beans are starting to flower so I'm hoping for enough to do some spicy pickled beans.

IMG_3394

I'm not going to post a recipe for fridge pickles, you can spend 5 minutes googling until you find one that will work with all the ingredients you have on hand, and then the next 10 minutes assembling the prep and making the pickles, because it's a really simple process.

I made one jar that is multi-colored carrots, striped beets, and beet stalks- all grown in my garden! Woot! And one jar of pickled onions with a generous teaspoon of yellow curry powder thrown in and that shit is pretty dope, let me tell you. I like curry pickles.

When I *DO* get around to canning pickles, I'll probably be a dogg and post a real recipe, but what is the point of showing you what I found on google in the first place anyway? Do some homework, kids. It's not that hard.

12 comments:

Marte said...

That green colour in your kitchen is amazing. Now I really want to paint my kitchen as well.

naomemandeflores said...

Oh, I'd love to make one jar!!!

Lisa-Marie said...

Mmm pickles. also, beetroot colour is awesome. That is all!

Family Thyme said...

I'd have to say my favorite fridge pickle recipe is from Molly Wizenberg...and yes, I found it via google! :-)

The best is skinny asparagus pickled, with extra peppercorn and red pepper flakes for a spicy finish. YUM!!!

曾法幸 said...

好的開始並不代表會成功,壞的開始並不代表是失敗............................................................

Brett said...

Nice! I made a similar pickle, with purple, yellow, and orange carrots from one of the Seattle neighborhood farmers markets. The purple bled out in to the brine and now it's a beautiful ruby color.

Robyn MacLarty said...

What pretty pickles!

sendfood said...

The color of that brine is gorgeous! I've been meaning to do some pickling, myself. It never seems to get done though!

Kelsey said...

gorgeous. just gorgeous.
Kelsey, at Happyolks.com

cook eat FRET said...

ruhlman just wrote about the whole pickling thing... 3% salt to water ratio...

Naadiya said...

wow! I wish i had a yard..or a nice community garden near by to grow my own food.

camelia said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com