Wednesday, June 23, 2010

portlandia

IMG_2470

IMG_2469

Monster noodles are back on our regular meal agenda, with one small addition. I don't often have quite enough ingredients on hand (despite shopping for things specifically- it's easy to dip into stuff that's meant for something else) to complete a big bowl of pesto, and lately I've been doing this thing to stretch my pesto that is making my life pretty goddamn awesome. KEEP IN MIND, that if you are a pesto purist, this is an abomination unto the lord, but I find it seriously delicious.

Take your normal pesto recipe, (which should be something like, basil, one clove of garlic, olive oil, parmesan, some nuts like walnuts or pinenuts, lemon juice, and salt & pepper) boil your noodles, and then spoon about half a cup of plain whole milk yogurt into a bowl. Scoop a small amount of pasta water out after the pasta is done cooking, dump it in with the yogurt and use it to thin it out a little, then dump that into the pesto and mix it around, and TA DA. Creamy pesto. Picture me, the super hippie, with small woodland creatures nesting in my armpit hair as I dig into my bowl of whole wheat spaghetti with creamy yogurt pesto, made with fresh basil, kale, and some chard from my own garden. DON'T HATE, PLAYERS. It tastes really good.

Speaking of my garden, I was looking up information about growing carrots last night when I realized I have not been thinning my carrots nearly enough. They were practically growing on top of each other so I pulled up a bunch of wee little babies to make room for the big carrots to grow.





my carrot bundle

BABIES

I ate a couple of the bigger ones and they were delicious. I am transported by homegrown carrots, y'all. That is the #1 garden treat that I remember from my childhood, second only to fresh green beans off the vine, but it's too early in the season for those yet. Snap peas don't really compare. I'm thinking about taking all the thinnings and pickling them whole. I'll get back to you on that.

Additionally, I came home to this on my dining room table today:







This Frankie's Spuntino cookbook made its way home with my husband today, and tomorrow night we're going to some kind of fancy book release event as part of our date night? I actually am not 100% sure what the event is all about, but it's at my husband's job and it sounds like it's going to be cool. This cookbook is glorious, by the way. I think it's styled after vintage field guides, and I'm really into the illustrations and just the size and cover and gold leaf, it's really a beautiful book. Fuck you, Kindle. Books are pretty and they smell good. And don't give you cancer.

Finally, we had dinner with some old friends tonight, and the served us up (among other things) some nice little cookies. I thought they deserved mention because they're a recipe taken from another blogger, Soule Mama.

cookiez



I think it was this recipe and the general consensus was that they tasted more like gingersnaps or graham crackers than coffee, but they were good and I enjoyed the texture, they reminded me of these.



Anyway. Portland was beautiful today, I've been eating really amazing food, seeing really amazing people, and this week marks the first consecutive 2 days off I've had since I started my new job, so I feel pretty goddamn rejuvenated right now. I HAVE TO GO START A LOAF OF NO-KNEAD FOR A SWAP TOMOMORROW (I'll be getting some strawberry-ginger-rosemary jam from a friend & I'm bringing her a loaf in trade).

Good night.

(p.s. yeah, I had a couple of glasses of wine tonight, by the way)

20 comments:

danielle. said...

i'm trying the pesto stretch today. it sounds delicious. also, your carrots are beautiful! i'm new to vegetable gardening and wanted to do carrots this year. do you think it's too late? i'm in seattle, so it's only just beginning to get warmed up around here...

Kimberly said...

Well, you're just the best Alicia Lynn Carrier. We've been making pesto quite a lot and I'll have to try your trick next time I do so. Just yesterday I was staring at my carrots thinking they needed to be thinned or I would end up losing the crop. And after buying these little bitty ones at the farmer's market last week I was thinking of pickling them myself. Can't wait to read your report. Off to thin carrots!

piecurious said...

Love the idea of using yogurt in pesto! I am by far a pesto purist... I have (out of concern for calories and partly because I don't find the taste suffers too severely) swapped out the oil entirely while making pesto for water instead. The oil from the nuts is usually enough to hold the pesto together and make it stick to the noodles. Will try the yogurt version soon!

Koren said...

Yum! I remember eating little carrots from the garden as a kid too! So sweet and delicious. I love the idea of mixing in yogurt for creamy pesto - will have to try it! I love your blog and usually laugh out loud reading your posts ;)

Lo said...

You know, I can't think of anything much more appealing right now than a big bowl of noodles. And creamy pesto sounds positively delicious -- the yogurt would add a delicious tang, and I'm thinking pesto made with walnuts... well, you see you've captured my imagination.

Love the look of that cookbook, and will be keeping my eyes open for it!

shesagoodegg said...

You sound happy - maybe it's just the wine talking, but maybe it's also that pretty garden bouquet of beautiful carrots (love the multi-colors).

I do a very similar pasta thing. I reserve some pasta water & toss the pasta with about 1/4-1/2 cup goat cheese to make a nice creamy, tangy coating. I did this a lot earlier this spring with sauteed asparagus, green onions, faux ground sausage & lots of lemon.

--Maija

jennifer said...

Always look forward to a new post from you. We heart rainbow carrots! My daughter plants them, thins them and them encourages her friends to eat them with her all summer long... right out of the earth, rinsed off in the hose! Made pesto last night with my bolting arugula (added a little bit of balsamic vinegar instead of lemon.mmmmm) Thanks for making my days. Yours is the first blog I catch up on.

eileen said...

YES! FRANKIE'S!! you have to cook everything in that cookbook instantly. I think I do, too, and I don't even have it. oh man, do I ever miss Brooklyn.

also, pesto with yogurt clearly = awesome. and with the chard and kale, yes. awesome.

lexi said...

You and your carrots look gorgeous! Pulling carrots from the ground and eating them as a kid was really the most magic thing. I can't wait for Spring over here and rainbow carrots. And pesto and yoghurt sounds ace - especially walnut pesto. Will try asap.

Eliana said...

Hmmm - creamy pesto sounds perfect for the summer.

Jana said...

The pasta looked delicious! I love the trading system with the bread...that is a great idea.

Amuse-bouche for Two said...

Pesto can be so versatile. We've added cream, creme fraiche...shrimp. Your tiny carrots are lovely. Yes, thinning is a good thing. Did that with some mixed lettuce and now all of a sudden we've got large and happy greens.

Katelyn said...

Love your jewel tone carrots - we were boring and only planted an orange variety.

Katelyn said...

Love your jewel town carrots...we were boring and just planted one variety of orange carrots.

Jenn Sutherland said...

Glad to see you back, Alicia! And I am all for pesto desecration - I sneak kale into mine all the time, as Hubs is still a kale skeptic after all these years. He hasn't noticed it in pesto, and otherwise, so long as I top it with a little crumbled bacon & balsamic, he'll eat it. Poor man, right?!

I'm drooling over those carrots, too. Homegrown really does make a difference. Wow.

Allison Jones said...

Yeah, haters gonna hate. At least you have your woodland armpit friends to console you. Naw, pesto is pretty much a free-for-all over here, too. Sometimes I even use canola oil. ¡QuĂ© scanda1!

Here's a cool tip - throw those carrot tops into your next pesto. I always thought they were useless and then a friend of mine made salad dressing with lemon, basil, garlic, and carrot tops. Om nom, let me tell you.

Alice said...

I love your carrots! I wish my parents still grew them in our garden. What varieties are you growing?? They look absolutely incredible

Kenon Thompson said...

Great post! I love the baby carrots and all of the pictures. And it's okay to have a couple glasses of wine.... Matter of fact there is never anything wrong with that!

laylablue said...

i wish i could fashion your lovely carrots into a necklace. (weird? ok)

OrganicMama said...

Haha! I'm SO with you on the REAL book thing. I really care about the environment - REALLY - but I just like to read books made of wood pulp, not electronic ones. OM