Saturday, May 8, 2010

cherry blossom & green tea kitkat.

Well hey. Remember my new food blog buddy/penpal Sunday Williams?

quickly photoshopped

No? Oh, I guess I was too much of a dumbass to remember to post about it. Well, long story short, I sent her this partially eaten candy bar in the mail so she could taste how weird it was. She sent me back a goofy package of mailing labels and it was all like WHEE! FUN!

Then she had a random drawing to win a GREEN TEA AND CHERRY BLOSSOM FLAVORED KIT KAT BAR and I inexplicably won, which is funny. I never win random drawings.

IMG_0765


But I mean, it's funny, right? Given our previous history.

IMG_0766

So anyway I got this guy in the mail today.

IMG_0768

hm.

I opened it up, not really expecting anything, and was really blown away by the lovely green color, haha:

GREEN?!?!?!?!  green kitkat.

My husband was a willing guinea pig, I broke him off a piece, HA HA HA. OH GOD, HAHA. Ha.

skeptical

Anyway, I felt like it had a sort of bizarre, nostalgia-inducing flavor that I still haven't managed to put my finger on, but my husband was just like, "Uh, it tastes like white chocolate to me, basically." And he was right, that was the general flavor. I think I might go have another piece just to see if I can get my brain to confirm what the weird memories are that I have attached to the flavor. I DON'T KNOW, MAN. Like olfactory memory but like, in your mouth.

Anyway, we still don't have a kitchen and I am SO OVER TAKEOUT, dude. We have walls and half a floor now, so that means it's kind of all downhill from here, I hope. I can't wait to post finished photos and also I CANNOT WAIT TO COOK AGAIN. REAL FOOD.

Good night.

19 comments:

joey armstrong said...

what a strange flavor combo.
yay for pen-pals though! i don't know if the postage keeps increasing in the US, but here in canada it keeps going up every year - but in honesty they should start lowering the postage so that more people would have incentive to send letters and do awesome things like be pen-pals. love it. i'm glad there are still awesome people in this world.

Oscar Devonian said...

That's incredible! Where do I procure such a thing?

Maya said...

that's so cool! and so pretty too! green tea kit-kat!

Tammie said...

Ha! broke him off a piece.

the color of it is lovely.

(oh and my word verification is 'unmormon'. which i find hilarious for some reason.)

Caitlin said...

Green kit kats?! So cool!

http://amusebouche-caitlin.blogspot.com/

Sunday said...

I'm still waiting on what the mystery flavor-memory is, because I'm still stuck on something like "french toast".

Gwen said...

I heard on NPR today that Japan has dozens of flavors of KitKat!! NPR is doing a story about candy in Japan tomorrow, I think...

So weird to see this post after hearing about it on NPR.

C Fierce said...

Wow it's like my two blogworlds just collided in the internet universe. BLACK HOLE! I still want my coffee flavored KitKat ... sigh.

Emiloves said...

when i saw that picture on facebook i thought it was a seemingly seductive photo of dblj eating celery...
it makes a lot more sense now!

also, opb told me that these silly flavored kit kats are being marketed as study snacks.

pity said...

yep! only in japan!

Melissa said...

i was at an asian market this past weekend & saw some more fun flavors, which made me think of this post instantly. i even snapped a photo to share!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/samskipti/4616379111/

Amerella said...

My friend brought numerous flavours of Kit Kat back from Japan recently (green tea included) - we're going to have a Kit Kat party and try them all!

mina said...

i couldn't find the green tea kit kat when i was in tokyo but i tried some other weird flavors. the candy in japan is amazing!

lena.m said...

i believe the tastey version of olfactory memory is gustatory.

thea said...

heheeeeeeeeee, that's fabulous... and somewhat I don't know.... foreign... only the japanese, yes?

thea.
x

(spoonfulzine)

K-Dog said...

I was in Seoul, South Korea for a day once, and the Dunkin' Donuts had a donut called "Green Tea Chewistry." It was a very unique culinary experience.

Zan said...

here's a place you can get them:

http://www.napajapan.com/Products.asp?brand=2

note they have 12 pages of kit kat, ALL kit kat and around 115 individual items, some bizarre (miso flavour, wasabi flavour!) some nice sounding ones like cola & lemon soda.

cheers

GloriaRae said...

My aunt sent me five or so random kit-kat flavors that she had bought in Japan, and I am in loooove with this one!! Normal kit-kats just don't cut it anymore. And i have been searching frantically across the internet trying to find a place to order some more ^___^!!

Tsunami-Hk said...

So many nice flavrors around. Soy Sauce was quite interesting, The worst i tried was Plum....

Unfortunatly we only have a few but the most popular:)