Saturday, April 24, 2010

same shit, different day

impatient

I'm a reasonably patient person, but my radishes are starting to get pretty good sized, and I keep sneaking one here and there, even though they're still tiny. They taste good! Like uh... radishes. In case you're keeping track, our kitchen is still a pile of debris in the backyard, but it's slowly, slowly being pieced back together. My husband has pretty much done 100% of the work himself in small spurts after work and on weekends (when I'm either hanging out with our son, or working, respectively) and I am amazed at how much he's done by himself. Although, let's be fair- this is a man who got impatient when we were redoing our bathroom and PICKED UP AN ENTIRE BATHTUB BY HIMSELF AND INSTALLED IT IN THE BATHROOM. Like, dude- you don't think you could have waited a day for me to be able to help you carry the bathtub in the door? It's not like it was a clawfoot tub or anything, but jeez.

IMG_9787

So the garden has been keeping me busy, aside from drawing, and my day job, and my family, and my house. I kind of have a lot going on right now. It's awesome! Overwhelming is kind of how I roll, it suits my personality just fine. (Until I start freaking out.)

Adding to that, I've started a new blog project, that I hope some of you will be interested enough to follow. Updates won't be as frequent as this blog or my drawing blog (obligatory link, haw haw), but what I am doing is following a friend throughout the growing season at his small urban farm.

IMG_9963

He has access to a plot of land, and to be frank, he's essentially preparing for the apocalypse. I mean, I'm kind of more of a "Aw, won't it be fun to grow some stuff? Maybe I'll can some of it for later!" kinda gal, and he's more like, "WHEN SHIT HITS THE FAN, YOU GOTTA BE PREPARED." It's awesome, though. He's all about self-sustaining living, and he's given me full access to his farm to photograph the process of turning a vacant lot into a fertile field, and I'm pretty stoked about it. Check out the blog, here. I'd just go ahead and add it to your feed so you don't have to remember to check it regularly, because it's not like I'm going to show up every day and take a picture of the same row of peas waiting for them to sprout or whatever, but there will be an evolution of the land through photographs throughout the rest of the growing season, and I'm looking forward to it.

Soon I'm going to be able to cook with more than an electric skillet and a camp stove, and I can't wait. I'm going to eat poached eggs every morning for breakfast (instead of peanut butter toast or cereal) and I'm going to roast a big fat chicken- I really miss roasting a chicken for dinner. I am so lucky that I get to redo my kitchen, WOO HOO!


EDITED TO ADD: HEY DUMMIES, IT'S NOT A DICK TATTOO, IT'S PART OF A MOTH. BUT YES, IT KIND OF LOOKS LIKE A DICK. IT'S MY TATTOO. SHUT UP.

12 comments:

crashing-buses said...

"and to be frank, he's essentially preparing for the apocalypse"

hahaha this is so wonderful.
It sounds like an amazing project, can't wait to see the updates....

Beth said...

I love this.

I try to temper my "the world is going to end and I don't want to starve!" tendencies with a good dose of "I like pickles, I should can some"

I have subscribed :)

belfountain said...

oh how I love small scale apocalypse-prepared micro-farmers. Like the previous commenter, I can't wait to see the updates!

P.S. I always thought the point of growing radishes *was* the random snackingness of them? :)

suthrncan said...

This new blog is gonna be great!!

Melynda said...

PS the apocalypse blog will be interesting. Keep taking pictures, thanks.

Melynda said...

Or radish sandwiches. Don't laugh these are tasty. Butter your bread (remember I suggested that you butter your bread, please do not margarine your bread) slice enough tender radishes to cover the bread. Salt and pepper the surface of the sliced radishes, butter a second slice of bread, and cover the radishes butter side down. Cut in half, and enjoy, the buttery salty radish-y goodness of this treat.

windycityvegan said...

...he's more like, "WHEN SHIT HITS THE FAN, YOU GOTTA BE PREPARED."

That describes my husband's approach to farming, to a T. He's about as paranoid as George Sibley, but in an endearing, not exactly certifiably crazy way. I just like to think of us as really efficient micro farmers.

And I'm so jealous of your radishes - I thinned mine yesterday with hopes that there would be something, anything to eat, but they were still just spindly little shoots. My hens loved them, though.

elliemoon said...

i love your photos! the garden has been keeping me busy as well. and my husband also is a little crazy in the building department. one of these days there will be a hernia surgery to pay for.....

Chocolatesa said...

Please excuse my juvenile mind, but what is that tattooed on your arm? Lol :P

al said...

ha! i really love that picture of the radish. it's so cute. and it looks tasty indeed. http://byaccidentsandsagacity.blogspot.com/

She of the Socks said...

Yes, I echo Chocolatesa's query. That tattoo seems like something QUITE FAMILIAR. (I am trying so very much... much... to keep your blog comments classy and not make terrible puns.) But seriously: IS THAT WHAT I THINK (hope) IT IS?

蘇pet0701em_halvorsen said...

0401影音成人影片交流愛撫淫叫色情照片性愛圖片女生如何自慰激突成人論壇美女脫胸罩走光一夜正妹視訊情人性愛論壇85cc影城性伴侶85cc色情影片打手槍情色視訊聊天室色情a片色情色情圖片限制級照片色情電話520sex免費色情網情色性愛一夜情聊天網成人聊天網視訊成人台灣性網av一夜女情色av淫女免費視訊美女挑逗情色影音聊天作愛影片辣妹清涼秀美女做愛成人自拍貼圖成人資訊色論壇台灣色情成人網站色情視訊聊天露三點打砲情色性愛貼圖av成人網成人影片