Tuesday, February 16, 2010

"alice, update this shit!"

IMG_7531

My coworker who reads my blog just commented to give me a hard time about not updating for a long time, and because I loooove her, I am going to go ahead and do it, except- que? Where is all the food, bro? Let me set a scene for you right now. It is about 9:30. My son is finally quiet in his room (knock on wood), my husband is back at work doing some crazy install stuff that would make coffee nerds have a wet dream (paddle groups fed by individual pumps? nerd?) and I am sitting at my dining room table between cups of chamomile. Picture me hovering over the glowing red burner of my stove, melting a square of 72% dark chocolate from Trader Joe's, and sprinkling it with kosher salt before popping it into my mouth. That's as close are you're going to get to a recipe tonight because HOLY BEJEEZUS I HAVE BEEN BUSY.

IMG_6698

First of all, you probably know that I do 10 dollar commissioned drawings (CLICK HERE) which I have gone from sneakily attempting to mention to full-on shameless blatant promotion, because let's be honest- I have 702 followers for this blog and like 100 for the other one. And I like paying my bills. And if you didn't know that, you weren't paying very close attention, but hey! Now you are. What's up! And so this is like my "night" job, doing these drawings- because during the day I am mom/barista/babysitter galore, and these things take up a lot of my time. I like doing these things, so it's not a big deal.

IMG_7498

Sometimes I feel like just checking this blog off my list of shit to do and giving up on it all together because DUDE I EAT BURRITOS LIKE 3 NIGHTS A WEEK AT THIS POINT. You don't want any more of my stupid burrito recipes. ALSO, I have found a really amazing outlet for my OCD and body issues, and that is counting every single calorie I eat and keeping track on a chalkboard in my kitchen, which I've previously mentioned. If you're not already doing this, I totally recommend it. For one, it totally scratches that organizational itch of mine, considering that I don't have a whole hell of a lot to organize beyond my crappy day job and being a mom. For another thing, this morning I weighed 6 pounds less than I did on my wedding day and that's a pretty goddamn big deal for me. I know that part of the awesome weight loss is that I'm losing a lot of muscle tone from being too lazy to go jogging in the morning (I bought a pillowtop bed when I moved and HOLY SHIT, I WAKE UP IN A PUDDLE OF MELTED FLESH EVERY MORNING. I am completely incapable of bouncing out of my pimp-ass bed the way I did with my crappy one from before.) but really I'm just being SUPER conscious about what I'm eating. I don't even know why, at this point- I'm at a pretty healthy weight, I feel really good about myself because I'm taking care of myself, I think part of it is that it just sort of feels like magic- OMG! I EAT LESS FOOD, I AM SLIGHTLY LESS FAT! IT'S LIKE A MIRACLE OF SCIENCE! All that means I haven't been very creative with my meals, which in turn means that my food blog has become a totally lame pile of garbage. No more cupcakes for you, loyal readers! Seriously, it's funny- because I started this thing with a close friend who bakes all day every day, and I just wanted to take nice, Martha Stewart-y photos of pretty food. But because I am pretty passionate about food, my ideals about what I want to post about have sort of changed over the year and a half or so that I've been doing this. I'm just in a totally different place. I don't give a shit about salted caramel cupcakes or pretty cinnamon rolls or any of it. I just want to take care of myself and my loved ones. I'm totally turning into "that mom" and you know what? Fuck it. My nephew complained to my sister that he doesn't like coming over to eat dinner at my house because I make yucky food, haha! I remember when I was a kid I hated eating at my friend's house because she had hippie parents who cooked nothing but beans and rice. She'd come over to visit us and gorge herself on sweets until she felt like she was going to puke. I'm trying to find a happy medium of indulging myself and my son- yeah, I'm sorry I'm the jerk who feeds him brown rice and makes whole wheat pizza dough with roasted broccoli on top, but I still take him out for ice cream, I still buy popcorn and pretzels at the grocery store.

IMG_6955

Today I spent some time expanding my small garden plot in the backyard. I planted these overwinter shallots and garlic bulbs in October and I have completely ignored them so I have no idea if they're going to be worth eating or not, but that was mostly a whim and now I've begun to officially plan my garden. My fireplace mantle has become a dumping ground for seed packets. We have planter boxes waiting for fill dirt, I want my yard to be overflowing with FOOD, PLEASE. We found out our neighbors are cool with (even excited about!) the idea of us having chickens, so that's on the plan for spring 2011. My husband just got back from a work trip to Costa Rica where he stayed on a bunch of coffee farms and met a bunch of awesome people. He was telling me about how fresh all the food he ate was, and watching him be so pumped about it was awesome. He was like, "It's amazing, everyone has chickens and a cow in their backyard- if they need eggs, they just go grab some from outside." He brought me some honey and bee pollen from a small farm he visited, and they smell AMAZING.

Anyway. Here's your update, Emily. Sorry it's so convoluted and ranty, but I have a feeling you're probably used to that by now.

P.s. while I'm rambling about totally random crap, you should all go listen to this song because it's stuck in my head about 90% of the time.

ONE LOVE, HIPPIES.

53 comments:

Brooke said...

Chickens! How fun! Super fresh eggs in your oatmeal. I've gotta say, I always enjoy reading whatever you post about. It's less about the content (which is always great) but more about how you write it. So even it's a random update here and there, I'll take it.

Amanda said...

So, I know this is random, but where on earth can you get fresh mozzarella?! I'm living in southern Alberta, Calgary to be exact, and I cannot find it anywhere! I know you get yours at Trader Joes, but is there anything equivalent in Canada?

Rachel said...

Okay, this comment is absolutely nothing of substance, but I really like this blog post. Rock on.

Lu said...

Ah great - a big huge rant that's what I was missing! Since I started a food blog a year ago I have def put on weight - and if I blog a bowl of veggies - nobody cares, but I still want to take care of myself. Hope you get the chickens - they're great recyclers, of scraps and veg peel!

Paula said...

Gee, I was kind of wondering when you would update....it was getting sort of boring the constant 'I get more traffic here'. Started reading our work about two weeks ago nd I must admit that the fotos are excellent and the recipes too. P

13mimosa said...

Well you know what, whatever you are or aren't eating, you're still a damn entertaining read. I'm one of the followers who isn't a registered follower, who checks in regularly to no updates, which I don't mind but which is mildly disappointing. Whatever you write about, you write well so it doesn't matter.

By the way, I too have discovered the eat less rule - you know how I did it? We have two sets of dishes - both of the main plates we use are like a wide shallow pasta dish - not sure why but we used these all the time. One set is restaurant size, the other el cheapo first out of hoem, half the size. So, we've switched to serves that fit nicely in the smaller size est voila - who'd have thunk it could be so easy?!

windycityvegan said...

I have always been "that mom," but at least when I lived in a trendy, hippie chic neighborhood in Chicago my daughter didn't seem to notice. Then we up and moved onto 15 acres in NC, got some chickens, and live off the land. I broke down and made her some baked apple cider doughnuts on Sunday and it was a nice respite from all the damned steel cut oats we've been eating.

Vera said...

Hello Alice.

I live over in Barcelona, Spain and love your blog. I also agree that you should post more often, your photos are lovely and it's always a pleasure to read what you have to say.
Cheers.

pitpubes said...

i am very interested in your boring burritos. thank you for updating! your one of the most interesting food blogs out there, in MY opinion. :)

Alicia Lynn Carrier said...

amanda, whatever is the most hippiefied store near you should have it, but if you can't find it anywhere, i understand it's pretty easy to make. i've never done it, but here's a link i found on google: http://www.instructables.com/id/Great-Mozzarella-Cheese/

mllenoelle said...

Here's a dirty little secret of the food blogging world: ALMOST NO ONE actually makes the recipes bloggers post. (I know this because I have posts that have gotten thousands and thousands of views, but only a small handful of clicks to print the recipe.) So don't feel bad about not including one!

Having a big garden, chickens, etc is something to which I aspire (last year I managed a small herb garden and even that was a challenge) so I would love to read about your garden adventures... recipes or no, it's still food-related.

Kathryn said...

Alicia, you could post about your son's bowel movements and I would probably read it. Just keep dropping gems like "WHOOPSY DOODLES" that I can integrate into my repertoire and make me sound funnier/awesome-r and I'll keep reading.

AND I LOVE BROWN RICE. HIPPIES UNITE.

Toil and Trouble said...

ha! man, you're funny and that's why i read your blog...i'm glad that you make crunchy hippie food it's way more interesting than yet another fancy macaron.

Monika said...

I do so love your blog, and frankly, you and your posts are well worth the wait! I bet most, if not all of your readers would agree! (and if they don't, stuff them.)

me said...

Thanks for keeping up with the posting. I even just enjoying looking at the photos to give me inspiration for cooking ideas. I particularly enjou the breakfast photos, it's my favourite meal of the day. Me and a friend have started a wee blog about food, more about eating and design if you'd be interested, we post interesting design projects about food and eating habits.

Thanks for the blogs, I've been reading these both for over a year now and I can't get enough but you shouldn't feel you have to keep it all up for lots of people. This whole blog-reading can get so passive...go find your own stories and take your own photos and enjoy documenting people!

tortuga said...

Fresh mozzarella is easy to make. Just make sure the milk is not ultra-pasteurized.
Also, I love your hippie pizza dough recipe. It's freaking amazing. And I would love to hear about the burritos.

me said...

oh and i meant to say, here's the blog hehe, http://edible-wearable.blogspot.com/

Sydney Hell said...

You made my morning lady. Keep rocking on.

Debi3735 said...

I also am an unregistered reader, enjoy the recipes, and the life. Glad to see you are back.

Tiffany said...

I don't think I'm a registered follower or anything either, and I don't even care if you write about food - I don't make any of your recipes anyway :) Haha, just kidding...sort of...you have given me some good ideas, but mostly I read you because you are totally entertaining and real and funny. Write about something else if you don't want to eat food anymore - I will still read it! Someday you will put together a fab book about hippie living (illustrated yourself of course) and be able to pay your bills forever because it will be a best seller. There, done. Thanks.

Suzie said...

Amanda,
I use to live in Calgary, try a local market (indoor or out - if they have them around you) and specialty stores usually do them, I've always had luck with Italian specialty groceries!
ps; this is one of the best blogs, way down to earth(:

L'ours Chaka said...

i think this post is wonderful.
on the one hand i totally appreciate how life is just happening for you and that's more important than posting. on the other hand, i really love reading what you have to say about food, art, life, chickens, honey, etc...

i support whatever you decide!

Lo said...

Heh. I don't care if you post about crunchy hippie food or whatnot, it's always a joy to read. And I love the fact that you make your kid eat broccoli on his whole wheat pizza, but aren't too proud to cave into the ice cream. That's balance!

Amanda said...

Thanks for your help Alicia and Suzie. I don't know of any markets around Calgary :( but I'll try to find some. And i'm going to try to make my own, probably tomorrow or the day after, so wish me luck :D

Mary Beth said...

Hi Alicia. I love your blog and like the others love to read whatever you write. I too am interested right now in taking better care of myself too and am planning on eating better and shunning sugar during lent. Also, would love to hear more about what you are eating right now, healthy and boring as it might be.

Jon said...

Don't leave us! You are way too entertaining and I am way too selfish. You have the gift of making anything sound interesting.

amy k said...

Dude. I could go on & on about how you are my people, but I will just say this ...KID CUDI. Keep doing what you do. Love...

Julie said...

Dude, I love your blog. I love reading about the random hippie food you eat, because you totally keep it real. I am planning my balcony garden now too. If all goes well I will at least have some herbs and some jalapenos. I have never grown a plant in my entire life.

Kid Cudi. Love.

Cole said...

I was waiting for this post to come, I knew you had a slighty crazy, rambling blogger inside of you! So proud...hahah love it!

ps I once dedicated a whole blog post to your 10 dollar drawings...i might be a fan.

Melissa said...

my husband asked me to pass along a 'thank you' for instructions on how to roll a burrito proper. we've recently discovered how amazing burrito night is & think we'll soon be joining you the burritos 3x a week club.

it all started with a half baked idea to replicate the famed bbq tofu burrito (from a now defunct place in boston). and now we're hooked.

you should give it a whirl, if your looking to jazz up your burritos. it's easy & awesome. you do need a bit of time to bake the tofu w/ bbq sauce in the oven for a few hours - but it's damn tasty.

MissAlyssa said...

a garden and chickens... love it! i can not wait to one day get out of my condo and get into a house with a backyard so i can start my garden!

i agree with mllenoelle... i would love to hear about your gardening adventures... bring on the tips... and the ups and downs of the whole experience! love your blog

Lynn Richards said...

For what it's worth, I really like this blog. Even if all you do is post what you ate and how many calories you took in. I am ALWAYS looking for ways to eat healthy. And when you hit 48....well, need I say more?You did one blog about what you ate in a day, or what a certain caloric intake looked like for you, I liked that one. (like I said, for what it's worth!!)
chicken rock!
Lynn

Dani said...

Miss you! Nice post :)

Stephanie said...

yay! for chickens and growing gardens!!
seriously this post just made me want to continue reading this blog. I love your ranty rambling. Your writing is super honest and I really like that. I'm excited to hear more about your garden and chicken raising and healthy burrito eating. haha.
Don't feel like giving up on this space...we don't need salted caramel cupcakes. (I never make that stuff anyways) That's not what I come here for. These blog spaces should change and evolve with our lives, not force us to follow a pattern we don't enjoy being in anymore.
btw: "coffee nerds have a wet dream" and "having a cup of chamomile" in the same sentance. I almost died...you rock.

Emiloves said...

that was a substantially satisfying and rambly read AND music too!? A+ buddy.

also, i can practically feel your hippie vibes all the way over here in my living room with your 'one love' send off... yoga in the park, here we come!

Alicia Lynn Carrier said...

do you think that we can get billy to come do yoga in the park with us?

Emiloves said...

OMGGGGG that would be the most amazing long stretch EVER!

the long stretch is a magical thing alice, it would probably bring us some kind of spiritual enlightenment just being in close proximity to it.

kevinmoilar said...

Haha, see how you been missed - nuff comments in this mother..! Thanks for Kid Cudi, had to get the album after your teaser. Its big! Bless, Kev

Kenon Thompson said...

Ha that was definitely an awsome blog post! Although I am new on here, your blogs have definietly caught my attention right off the bat!

Anyways, hope your happy with whatever you choose to do with the blog (I hope you keep doing them)! Have a nice day! - Kenon T.

toni ann said...

Alice, you look great in your photo. Want to suggest that you write about life, not just food. Bread and honey can mean many things! I find your writing so down to earth and sometimes hilarious. Keep writing!

Jenn Sutherland said...

What a great post! And so refreshing...I sometimes feel like my blog is another thing to check off the list, too - glad I'm not alone in that. Oooh, I'd been meaning to tell you that your enchilada sauce recipe is also a big hit in our house - and perhaps my favorite use for it is to saute up a big pan of shredded cabbage and onions with a little olive oil, S&P, then add in some of your enchilada sauce at the end, and serve with over-easy eggs on top. Damn...that is good eatin' - so thanks for that! And for updating the site. We miss you when you're not around. :)

Beth said...

I appreciate your ranting! Often when I read food blogs I find myself wondering how the hell anyone can eat that decadently all the time and stay healthy. So as someone who is trying *trying* to re-vamp my relationship to food, I appreciate you sharing about eating home-made whole foods in a healthy way. Woo! I also like when you make fun of hippies.

ps- so how do you count calories for things you cook? do you have to look up all the ingredients seperately? is there any less tedious way to do that?

brandysart said...

I know what its like to be busy...thanks for taking the time to update this blog. I really enjoy it and look forward to reading your posts (I read it in the first few minutes after I get to work while I'm enjoying my first cup of coffee before the craziness begins) and have used some of your recipes myself. I also read your $10 drawings blog and love your drawings! I'm trying to get going in the art business but...my real jobs (work, kids, sports, etc) take up so much time its hard. So..long story short..thanks for taking the time to post. :)

Sarah from iatebrisbane.com said...

Chickens are the best thing ever. They're not only great for fresh yummy eggs, they're great for the garden (they'll eat the weeds and bugs) and you feel like the most GREEN person in the universe because you'll never throw away food scraps again! and most importantly they are AWESOME for teaching little kids about life in general. Where food comes from. How to feed and care for animals. and generally watching the chooks go a little kooky when they find worms and little snakes.
I'm a bit the same with food too - feeling healthy is so much better than those cupcakes and lamingtons. :D

Sarah from iatebrisbane.com

ms. oaktree said...

thank gawd for your aggressive coworker!

Melynda said...

Keep doing what you do! You do it well, and I want chicken too.

Paula said...

OK Alice...considering that you left us with the other STUFF for a month. Now you're leaving us with this STUFF another month? Update the Update girl! I really want to see some of you new photos (you have been using your camera right?) and also I'm positive that you havent' been starving the family all this time. So

ALICE - UPDATE the UPDATE P

Alicia Lynn Carrier said...

paula, HUH? i just posted this the other day. also, you do know that you can click on any of these pictures and it'll take you to my flickr page, which i update daily, right? and finally, if you can't bring yourself to say the word 'shit' i don't know if we can be homies.

Paula said...

lice, cut the crap...being homies doesn't mean I have to use the word shit but if you want me to use the word shit I will definitely use the word shit. Didn't know I could get into your photos. Definitely will take a look. The recipes though? Hey, I live in Italy and at this point I would love to have some downhomecookingshit...in my house the downhomecookingshit is all confused and suffused with gooddownhomegrowncooked and such SHIT...are we homies now? P

Kirstin said...

Love your post and totally understand. I'm only one person but I'd be happy with healthy food recipes or even ideas. I'm on the same healthy eating kick and I love checking out food sites that list things I will eat and not stuff like chocolate cake. Love the broccoli on whole wheat pizza idea - may torture my family with that next week. lol

Alicia Lynn Carrier said...

paula, you are very odd, but i will cut you some slack if english is your second language, haha!

Paula said...

Actually you don't need to cut me any slack. English is my mother tongue and I was pulling your leg. Have been living in Italy for 35 years but haven't lost much of my ability to write nor speak. Probably because I have been teaching English conversation for the last 15. In any case, your blog is interesting and I do enjoy seeing your artwork which I find quite good. The idea of 10$ pieces is excellent. You would have a good market here at the 'mercatini', small markets where people show off their wares. Since I live in the countryside, have olive grove and veggie garden I have specialized in products of that type. From jams to marmellades to veggies in oil or pickled...life under the Italian sun definitely is wonderful. Odd, could be. At my age it wouldn't be strange....P

Tracy said...

Really enjoy your blog. Simple and fun to read!