Saturday, November 14, 2009

ham & noodles.

IMG_3319

Okay, I've been sitting on this for a few days because 1. I'm lazy, and 2. I kept forgetting to ask my husband for his recipe. When I finally sat down to blog about it, I asked him for the recipe and he started to prattle off crap about bechamel sauces and stuff, and suddenly I remembered that my culinary-educated husband knows a lot more about cooking than I do and I didn't even feel like dealing with it.

IMG_3322

Being married for a little over 4 years, and together for coming up on 7, my husband and I have had plenty of time to dissect the childhoods of one another, and we've frequently discussed the home cooking we grew up with. One thing my mom used to make when I was a kid that I loved without question was something she just called "ham & noodles." We had a few random dishes that were really comforting and delicious to me, and a lot of them were "____ & noodles." My mom's ham & noodles was, if I remember correctly, basically just a bowl with cubed ham, cooked egg noodles, some butter, sauteed onions, and caraway seeds.

IMG_3317

So, being totally awesome, my husband busted out (without even telling me in advance, which was an even BETTER surprise) this homage to my mom's dish, combined with a the hearty amazingness that is mac & cheese.

But- yeah. My husband used his fancy skills to make some fancy bechamel and then did a bunch of other crap, I don't even know, and so the result was this gooey creamy sauce and I have no idea how he did it and when he started to explain I just waved my hand in front of my face. If I were you, I'd just start with a good solid Martha Stewart recipe for mac & cheese. Then, once you have it all put together you can add the good stuff. Just lightly caramelize some onions in a pan, throw in some cubed ham (my husband actually just went to the deli, asked for ham sliced as thick as they could do it, and then chopped it up) and stir it into the mac & cheese before you bake it in the oven. Then, make a breadcrumb topping by toasting some bread and throwing it in a food processor with some whole caraway seeds, and top your noodles with it before going into the oven.

IMG_3325

That's pretty much it. Thanks for the inspiration, Mom.

10 comments:

Widge said...

hope you know how dang lucky you are that your man cooks!

ok that's the first time I've ever said or written "dang"...sounds very American of me

Melinda said...

I love it - I grew up on beef and noodles which was literally...wait for it...beef cubes and noodles in beef broth with salt and pepper. Sadly I'm veggie now so I have to get my noodle fix in other ways - great recipe though.

Tasha said...

This seems like such an easy dinner to make, but it would never have occurred to me to put all those things together to make it. And the breadcrumbs on top? That would just be awesome. I wonder if crushed up plain chips would be any good as a topping too?

Zim said...

That looks delicious!

Lisa-Marie said...

That looks awesome! Must have!

The Leftoverist said...

It's been a torrential downpour in Seattle for the last two weeks...this would be just the thing to cheer me up.

Chocolatesa said...

This sounds similar to my mom's recipe for chicken and ham noodle casserole: http://kyrieeleison2008.blogspot.com/2009/10/chicken-and-ham-casserole-more.html

Zupan's said...

The power of food to evoke memories is incredible. That comforting feeling we got from creamy noodles or steaming soup stays with us for a lifetime. Still, it’s fun to play with the recipes of our childhood and add our own twist—making them historical documents of sorts. Bravo to you and your husband for teaming up to bring another nostalgic comfort food recipe up to date and back to the table.

Her name was Lola said...

Looks just too good to be true! I'm loving this gorgeous, foodie-blog-heaven.

Cheers.

Melissa said...

if you ever make a visit to NY be sure to hit up Dumont Burger for their mac & cheese!