Friday, November 27, 2009

guhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Dude.

IMG_3971

Dude.

IMG_3975

IMG_3964

First of all, let's talk about my bullshit blood sugar. I don't technically follow a Glycemic Index diet, but I probably should. The longer I pay attention to what I'm putting into my body, the more I realize I just can't eat shit like white potatoes, white bread, refined sugar, etc., because it makes me feel like TOTAL CRAP. It's the day after thanksgiving and I'm walking around feeling all trembly and shitty like I'm getting over a bout of food poisoning, when in reality all I did was gorge myself on green bean casserole and potatoes all night. And pie.

So, that doesn't mean I'm going to turn into some persnickety high-maintenance eater who shows up at a diner asking for gluten and soy free pancakes, it just means that after last night's excess, I fully understand why I have been working so hard to be careful about what I eat.

WITH ALL THAT SAID, THESE MAPLE & BROWN SUGAR GLAZED SWEET POTATOES WERE THE BOMB.

I was at Trader Joe's the other day (HAW HAW) and they were giving out free samples of some prepacked version of this stuff, and I thought it was tasty, so I decided to try to make it myself. It was really easy, dude.

In a small saucepan on low heat, warm up a generous glug (about 1/4 of a cup?) of maple syrup, a whole stick of butter (melt it in the syrup, duh), a good sized handful of brown sugar, a really conservative pinch, really just a little dusting, of cinnamon, and a splash of balsamic vinegar. Toss over some cubed sweet potatoes and roast in a pre-heated 425ºf oven until fork-tender. (note: I didn't roast these potatoes in the dish shown above, although that is an oven-safe dish. I roasted them in shallow cake pans so they'd cook evenly. I just transferred them to the pretty container for serving.) Top with some toasted pecans if that's your bag (as you can see, it's mine) and serve on the side of a deliciously gluttonous meal that is guaranteed to make you feel like shit in the morning.

I MEAN SERIOUSLY YOU GUYS, I DIDN'T EVEN DRINK ANY ALCOHOL.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go whip up my recovery dinner- lightly steamed vegetables over brown rice with a poached egg and some lemon wedges. Leftovers be damned. (J/k I had a leftover turkey sandwich for lunch already, duh)

10 comments:

Jenn Sutherland said...

Yep, the day after, I'm still feeling the food fug from the pie and ice cream...guh. I wish I'd eaten steamed veg for dinner, but duh, I bellied back up for more leftovers, though I am going to skip the desserts tonight. :) Those sweets look mighty tasty!

The Puritan Impulse said...

When you say white potatoes, is that a certain variety or just ones that have been peeled?

I too have problems with my blood sugar, but am new to figuring this stuff out, so I really appreciate when you talk about your experience.

Love your blog!

beekeats said...

Ohh Alicia, you always make me chuckle when reading your blog. I love your style of writing. Mmm, and brown rice with a poached egg on top? Sounds pretty perfect to me..

Love your recipes too!

Alicia Lynn Carrier said...

i just mean potatoes, basically.

i think sweet potatoes have a different effect on blood sugar than regular potatoes, but from what i've noticed, potatoes make my blood sugar spike and crash pretty rapidly.

Jon said...

god damn you crack me up

zavozljani polž said...

Hey, Alicia, great blog!

I've been hypoglycemic for years. My husband and kids know that it's not safe to talk to me when I'm hungry, it can be really bad if I eat high GI food and if I don't eat every couple of hours (like a baby). Well, just recently I found out that there is a correlation between hypoglycemia and adrenal fatigue. I was shocked to find out that my adrenals were in deed pretty tired. I'm just starting my self-treatment, so no results just yet.

And yeah, veggies and protein are a good idea for us ;-)

Missy said...

I hear you. The older I get the less I get away with food wise. I really have to eat right these days or I pay for it the next day.

Matt said...

Yes, sweet potato love!

Ellenitza said...

Oh my god, these look amazing! Post-holiday diet be damned.

Happy Together said...

Hi Alicia,

When I lived in Hong Kong, I always eat out. At that time, I just know that I love something taste good but after I live in Denmark, I have to cook by myself most of the time, I realized that food is not something just tasty but also healthy.

Thanks for sharing.
Take care.