Friday, July 10, 2009

pizza pockets!

kitchenwench

Oh, hi. Here I am, grimacing in my somewhat cramped, (well, large for an apartment at least!) messy, humid kitchen. Today was a stupid day to make pizza pockets from scratch (like 85 degrees and humid, ugh) but it was on the menu and it sounded good, so I did it anyway. I fortified myself with a good afternoon snack (HA) and set to work making my pizza dough using this recipe.

stuffing

Last time I made pizza, I made of spur of the moment decision to make a calzone, and it came out pretty darn delicious. This time I decided to make little hand-sized pizza pockets, mostly for fun, but also because this pizza dough recipe always makes way more than we need, so I knew I'd have enough to make extras to freeze for another day.

guts

Making pizza pockets is pretty straightforward, but it kind of takes a long time, so I recommend two things: get your stuff prepped as far in advance as possible, and try doing it on a day that you don't mind having your oven cranked up to 500ºf- we're still recovering. Like, the middle of July might not be the right day for making pizza pockets. OR MAYBE IT IS, WHO CARES IF YOU GET SWEATY?

I made the dough according to the recipe, and then rolled it into a rope which I divided into 8 portions. I rolled out each little ball into a nice oval, like so:

fold

and filled it halfway with the stuffing, which was a mixture of finely chopped cooked chicken, roasted broccoli, and roasted red peppers, stirred together with pizza sauce and some chunks of fresh mozzarella (grated probably would have worked better, though). I chopped everything pretty finely because I didn't want to run into the problem of taking a nice bite only to get a huge chunk of some searingly hot chicken or pepper or something that is too huge to fit in your mouth and then it just plops down in front of you and you're going FUHFUHFUHFUH trying to cool off your mouth- god, that sucks. If everything gets chopped up, you can take reasonable bites without hurting yourself. (They do get really hot, though.)

pockets

So, I made 8, split 6 of them between the 3 members of my family and popped 2 (uncooked) into the freezer for a day that I'm feeling too lazy to make lunch. Win-win situation, in my opinion. I baked them in a 500 degree oven on a cast-iron skillet (dusted with cornmeal!) for about 5-7 minutes, then I flipped them so the tops would get a little brown and let them cook for another minute or two. Next time I might use some sausage or ground beef, because let's face it- what I'm really trying to do here is replicate those ridiculously terrible/delicious pizza pockets that you get in your middle school cafeteria for like 50 cents. I lived off of those things in the 8th grade, even when I was "vegetarian" and i'd just bite off a corner of the pocket, squeeze all the sausage out, and then eat the cheesy, saucy bread. That stuff is the bomb! And I love the idea of basically having homemade hot pockets in my freezer, because I'd never BUY something like that (ew ew ew) but I secretly love to eat stuff like that. (because I'm still mentally like 10 years old.)

OH, and today, a good friend of our family and longtime graphic designer (he is the friend who helped me design my book of photographs), Hank Schmidt, sent out a preview of some cupcake wrappers he designed with a friend. I loved the idea and told him I wanted to design one, and he sent me the template! If you're familiar with my drawing blog, you'll know that I do freelance illustration, so I'm totally bubbling over with ideas for something to slap on a cupcake wrapper. Feel free to leave a comment with something you'd like to see wrapped around your cupcakes! You can see some of his existing designs here. (although I'm trying to convince him to open an etsy shop for these, I think it'd sell in a heartbeat.)

19 comments:

Blue is Bleu said...

That looks totally yummy, but standing in front of a 500F oven might have to be put off till the weather cools down! And the first pic made me laugh... your face said it all!

Widge said...

Yummo that looks delicious! I make pita pocket pizzas all the time but I'm lazy and buy ready made pitas. have always wanted to have a go at making my own though. Might give it a go this weekend as it's the middle of winter over here and freezing 9 degrees.

Angela said...

I hate it when the cheese is super hot and flops down on my chin and I get a cheese burn! I fully support the small pieces on pizza.

Erin Darcy said...

'something that is too huge to fit in your mouth and then it just plops down in front of you and you're going FUHFUHFUHFUH trying to cool off your mouth- god, that sucks.'

hahaa oh my god i couldn't stop laughing at this... just how perfectly you typed it out and.. hahaha yeah. whew..

-starvingartistink.com

Allison said...

It is the middle of winter here in South Africa so a bit of oven heat would be most welcome. This recipe looks great and i will try it soon.

Thanks
Al

vanessa aka Nessie Noodle said...

yum.
I will pick a cool day and give these a shot
thanks!

Laura [What I Like] said...

Ooooh, that looks delicious! I have that tendency to make hot oven dishes on ridiculously hot days also...like today actually. Bread baking in 85 degree weather in a apartment with no cross ventilation. Sweat city!

laura said...

Heat be damned, those look yummy.

Eliana said...

Well your pizza pockets look great. I made cheesecakes today and it seems like my apartment never cooled down.

Sophie said...

These are like empa,nada's: yours look stunning!
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM,....!!!!

Zoe said...

Looks awesome

ab said...

I think something involving the words "Eat Me" would be sweet for a cupcake wrapper. Also skulls and crossbones because that would be kind of ironic.

Sister Mary Cupcake said...

This is awesome! I want to make these now. Our teenagers eat hot pockety things all the time and I fear for what it is in them. BUT, if we made these.. then it might be ok :)

Lisa-Marie said...

Calzone pizzas are the husbands favourite, I think I may have to make these for lunch today! We have yummy sausages and everything!

I love your dress btw, it's gorgeous!

beth said...

I absolutly LOVE that picture of you. I can see it with a funny caption written underneath on a greeting card.

Thanks for the pocket tips. I have always been little chicken to try them, but no more. Everything tastes better wrapped in a pastry, right?

delightfullysweet said...

They looks delicious! Can't wait to try them out! Thanks =)

Lisa-Marie said...

I made these today, though I ended up with a big one and three medium ones(two of which are in the freezer, which is very satisfying!). Each of my medium ones is a bout 1 and a half of your little ones, and they are really good! I made a basic Italian-ish sauce, and added some sliced smoked sausage, and it was really good! My husband thinks you are a genius!

Thank you for a lovely lunch!

Knick Knock said...

fantastic...you may have just single handedly revolutionised my packed lunches...like a mini italian cornish pasty.

Zupan's said...

Instead of buying pizza pockets for the kids, this sounds like a fun summer afternoon project to include them on. Truth be told, it would be a fun activity for adults too. Wine tasting outside while they cook!