Sunday, July 26, 2009

garden fresh.

cuke

Let me be blunt. I am melting into my chair right now. I mean it's wicked hot in my apartment, I got up at 6 a.m. and worked a long busy shift, came home, jumped around my living room for 20 minutes (what was I thinking?!) then spent several hours this evening wrangling my nephews along with my sleep deprived, sweaty, grumpy toddler. 3 sweaty, hot, grumpy little boys, and me. (And my poor husband- who was probably thrilled to be hanging out with 3 tiny grumps and one giant one.) SO ANYWAY.

My mom gave me some cucumbers from her garden the other day, and while snacking on a few slices, I thought to myself, "This needs something." So I put something on it.

cukes2

OH, YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT I PUT ON IT? Rice vinegar, a pinch of sea salt, and some toasted black sesame seeds. It's as close to 'cooking' as I'm going to get in this wack-ass heat, and it's satisfying in sort of the way salty potato chips are, without like, giving you cancer or whatever the hell it is potato chips do these days. And also it's cold. Did I mention it's really hot outside? It's supposed to be really hot all week. Expect me back here, in the same spot, continuing to complain about it, at least one more time this week. Tschau, hundz.

14 comments:

Pip Lincolne said...

Wow. cool. A super-crunch green-delicious mouth-puckering snack delight! Ace idea. Thanks!

burpandslurp said...

Sounds perfect to me! Un-cooking! Yum, and so fresh, the perfect way to enjoy the summer bounty!

life according to celia... said...

yes. hot. disgusting. kill. me.

jenny k said...

this is called oi muchim in korea (my mom is korean), it's one of my faves. it's good sprinkled with red pepper flakes, too. and sometimes i like to shred up good seasoned korean seaweed and mix that in too, but my mom thinks that is blasphemous and weird. it's really tasty, though.

Blue is Bleu said...

This looks like a perfect side for a warm, muggy summer's dinner! Hope you cool down soon :)

Jess said...

Hello - Fellow melter, here. In this heat, I'd love a bite of those cukes right about now. Thanks for the recipe.

un bel oiseau said...

whoa. holy cucumbers! two words: wicked awesome.

oh, and "3 little grumps, plus one giant one"= HILARIOUS!

Thanks ;)

The Leftoverist said...

We are complaining our asses off up here in Seattle. Turning the oven on may be a crime. And toddlers get so grumpy in the heat. It's salad or nothing around here!

Kate said...

That's definitely an idea I'll have to try here in Vegas, where it's 95 degrees as I write right now, just before midnight, and it's supposed to hit 110 tomorrow!

Brianna said...

One of my favorite things is to roast mustard seed and put it on really cold cucumbers with a little bit of olive oil.

I've been a lurker for a long time and just wanted to say I enjoy your blog.

Aran said...

refreshing is what comes to mind. yum!

Aim said...

Man, I wish I lived by you where it's hot. Good God, 68degrees on the first of August? I wore wool socks today and cried for the sun.

Fahrenheit 350° said...

Ah, I just moved from Portland and now I'm all of a sudden finding all these Portland bloggers! Tisk, tisk.

sandwicharchitecture said...

oh man, cukes with rice wine vinegar and black sesame seeds are a staple in my house. i like to slice them thin with a mandoline, salt them and leave them in a colander to drain some of the water out of them, rinse and squeeze them out, then soak in the vinegar to make a quick pickle. sometimes i add a little sugar to balance the tart. so refreshing!

sorry to hear that this summer has been so brutal for you guys out there... at least we expect it to totally suck here in boston, and we're prepared with air conditioners and stuff. the suckage sneak attack is no bueno.