Wednesday, July 15, 2009

barbecue & noodle salad.

spread

Tonight our friends had us over for a lovely mid-week barbecue. On one of my favorite food blogs, the hilarious Sunday Williams wrote about not understanding the big deal about bbq. Let me lay it out for you, homegirl:

yum

Cheers. Nothing compares to kicking back in someone's backyard at 6 o'clock on a weekday, sitting in one of those fugly fold-up camping chairs with the cup holders with a boozy cool beverage in one hand and a sloppy plate of something in the other. (Can you tell I was picking at roasted beets?) I mean, in this case- we really didn't even need to fire up the grill. Jason and I were coming off a week of some heavy meat dishes and neither of us were in the mood for something meaty, and one of our buddies is vegan, so the only thing we actually grilled was slabs of fresh-picked zucchini and some heads of garlic.

wtfbbq2

It's not about the food, although everyone knows that almost anything tastes better licked by flames and smoke, carcinogens be damned. It's about relaxing and talking smack with people you like and enjoying beautiful summer weather.

Also, look at this rad plate:

plate

Anyway, as usual, I hustled around my kitchen trying to think of something nice to bring, and of course, I fell back on a delicious noodle salad. It just seems so RIGHT when you're eating a plate of something grilled to have a cold pile of noodles on your plate. I managed to cobble together this salad from a bunch of stuff I had on hand, and it came out awesome!

wtfbbq

It's just cold cooked noodles (like 1/2 a bag), chopped tomato, cucumber, parsley, and roasted red pepper (actually, it was an orange pepper). I added a can of kidney beans, and then I made a dressing with a large dollop of tahini, thinned with lemon juice, a splash of apple cider vinegar & some olive oil. There are a lot of tahini dressing recipes online (I did a quick google search before I made it to give myself an idea of what I wanted to do) and they all thin the tahini with water, but I decided to use olive oil because I wanted the noodles to stay coated with the sauce, and I figured if I used water, it'd all soak in and they'd end up gummy and dry. Finished it off with a bunch of salt & pepper and it was awesome, mega stoked.

20 comments:

Blue is Bleu said...

Yum! I love simple, clean food like that :) And that plate is definitely rad!

Léna, said...

my quick favourite tahini dressing: tahini, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, mustard. super tastey simple and surprising!

Marisa said...

Tahini dressing...I've never tried that...I will. Thanks for sharing.

*JeM* said...

Hmmm...I've been trying to figure out what to bring to a bbq I'm going to this weekend and this might just do the trick...thanks!!!

Eliana said...

I am ALL about the BBQ in the summer. There is really nothing like it,

Lulu said...

That plate is wonderful!! Do you know where its from?

JA said...

Where did you get those plates? They're really great!

fenavo said...

I heart your blog! Everything you make and write about looks delicious!

Also, we have been on meat overload as of late, so I am totally loving the idea of skipping the meat and just grilling veggies one night. Thanks!

Amanda Nicole said...

It all looks and sounds wonderful! I love bbqs because they're the ultra casual version of the dinner party, which can get a bit stuffy.

My guy and I are vegetarian and we bbq all the time - it's funny, because people are always asking us what it is we bbq. Why, veggies of course!

LoveFeast Table said...

I love roasted beets!! and with friends a cold beverage and that yummy noodle salad...sounds like a recipe for sheer fun! -kristin

gabrielaskitchen said...

Such envy! I love living in NYC but miss backyard bbqs. Central Park is awesome for picnics, but nothing like a bbq where you have access to a house (ehem, stove and toilet) and privacy (open containers). Thanks for this post!

B said...

u have to tell us where the plate is from, hopefuly somewhere here in Portland

glutenfreeincleveland said...

The best thing about summer barbecue is an excuse to spend the last - long - dwindling hours of the day outside with friends. Good times. And with delicious, freshly made food, better times!

I just posted a summer-bring-it-to-a-bbq salad to my blog m'self, but never though of covering it in a tahini dressing. Its made with chickpeas so that may well be interesting... hmmm... thanks for the inspiration!

Sunday said...

I have nothing to say in my defense of course, only that it's been so long since I have participated in an actual BBQ that I'd forgotten it was about sitting around outside and drinking booze. I just kept wondering why charcoal-based directional heat was better than gas-based radiant heat. Because I have no sense of romance, see.

Alicia Lynn Carrier said...

sunday: for one thing, charcoal based heat makes your food taste like CHARRRRRRRR which i like. and for another thing, it's basically all about booze down here in pdx.

lalindenlinda * said...

That pasta salad looks nice :)

Cucinista said...

So want to come to your house for a BBQ! Great looking food. Tahini is one of those amazing ingredients that makes everything better. Thanks for sharing.

Resh said...

I love BBQ's!!! it my favorite part of summer. Great post, delicious simple meal!

laura said...

BBQ are everything that's great about summer.

Nuala said...

Where did you get that plate with the heart on it???? I need it!!