Thursday, June 4, 2009

hippie chow.

Oh HEYYYYY food blog, what's up? I almost forgot about you. On our budget, we eat a lot of the same crap, so we don't do anything too fancy on a regular basis. I've mentioned this to a few people, and they seemed interested in the same-shit-different-day approach that we have, so pretty soon I'm going to do a week of our meals, and you can see how we eat on a daily basis. It's boring food but we try to keep it healthy. Until then, dig this hippie chow!

hippiechow

Look, I love to make fun of hippies. I can't help it, there's just something so funny about being like, "Shut up, hippie!" When I see some goofy hippie walking down the street, I say stuff like, "HAHA, HIPPIE!!" to whoever I'm with. If someone I know is doing something to make their lives more "green" or whatever, I'll jab them in the ribs and be all, "HIPPIEEEEE!" It's not that I have anything AGAINST hippies, I just love saying the word, and I also love making fun of people. Not to mention, I'm a huge-ass hippie. I didn't wear a bra for like 10 years (ah, those were the days), I was vegetarian for almost half my life, I even have one of those goofy stickers on my car shaped like the state of Oregon with a green heart in the middle. I shop at the farmer's market, I like eggs from backyard chickens. What's up, HIPPIE!?

hippiechow2

So anyway, my husband and I are always making cracks about how hippies can't cook, and how all their food is just junk in a bowl, so whenever we decide to eat a pile of crap in a bowl (FAILURE PILE IN A SADNESS BOWL? I THINK NOT), we call it hippie chow. Hippie chow can be anything- back in the day when my husband was vegan and living in punk houses with tons of hippies punk rockers, hippie chow was toasted TVP with red sauce on whatever carb was laying around, or rice with condiments, or dumpstered vegetables (Yes, I have engaged in dumpster-diving for pleasure. Sorry, Mom. I have a job now.) thrown together in a sauce pan with some spike or something. Hippie chow is whatever the hell you want it to be! In this case, however- as our tastes have refined over the years, our hippie chow was hella delicious.

HIPPIE CHOW FOR GROWN-UPS:

quinoa (I don't know, 2 cups? a cup? If you don't have or don't like quinoa, get brown rice. It's not hippie chow if it doesn't have a whole grain, so no cheating with white rice, haha)
2 medium-large beets
2 large carrots
1 bunch of kale
a few zucchini and yellow squash
a potato or two
garlic & onion
Whatever other vegetables you have lying around- broccoli would be good (IF IT DIDN'T MAKE ME FART SO MUCH), or green beans, or asparagus. Try to think "RAINBOW." Because you're a hippie.

Cook your quinoa- you can just put it in a rice cooker and cook it exactly the same way you would rice. Or like, cook your rice in the rice cooker, if you're not enough of a hippie to want quinoa- but you know what? Quinoa is really good, and supposedly it's really, really good for you. Go out on a limb, hippie.

Chop beets, carrots, and potatoes- then toss them with olive oil & roast them in a pan at about 400ºf until tender. When they're getting close to done, saute garlic & onion in a pan with some butter or oil, until glassy, then add the rest of the vegetables, which presumably you have chopped up already (don't add the kale until the end, or it'll get overcooked. I put it in and then put a lid on it to steam a little, but only for a minute or two, I still like some crunch to my greens). Season with salt & pepper, throw in some fresh herbs if you like (I think Jason added basil) and then, in the immortal words of Patton Oswalt, pile it all in a single bowl. Top with a poached egg, if you're feeling fancy (we totally were), then mix it all together. If you're a real hippie, you'll add ketchup and/or hot sauce, like I did. Ta da! You just slummed it like a hippie. No seriously, though- I love hippies. Please don't send me any butthurt emails. I love the Earth, guys! I love hugs, and rainbows, and kittens, and Nag Champa, I really do! The sad part is that I sound sarcastic, but I'm really serious, just like when I tell people that my favorite movie is Legally Blonde and they don't believe me. Whatever, that shit rules.

Oh hey, you know what's more awesome than hippie chow for dinner? HIPPIE DESSERT.

dessert

dessert2

My husband eternal soul partner came out of the kitchen bearing these little bowls- vanilla ice cream topped with slices of fresh peach, a drizzle of local honey (hippie!) and some warm, freshly toasted almonds.

And, now I can stop making fun of hippies. One love, y'all!

50 comments:

annie said...

yer gr8.

Amelia said...

Man, I've been eating hippie chow for a week! Tomato, carrot, cauliflower, and broccoli with barley and water chestnuts, with a poached egg totally over the top. Stuff's the bomb for a poor college student, yo.

lillie said...

wow, you have a most distinct and hilarious writing style. your blog bursts with some big personality, pretty awesome. also, hippie chow makes me hungry. yum.

laura said...

Why are they so fun to poke fun at? Don't know, but they are. Of course I laugh with love. I was raised by two bona fide farming-greatful-dead-listening-volvo-driving-pipe-smoking-whole-grain hippies. And it was great.

christopher said...

When I first saw the dessert I thought it was apples, not peaches. And it would be totally delicious with baked apples.

Sayward Rebhal said...

Ahaha, you're fucking funny! I think my blog is exactly the kind of shit you'd make fun of. It's okay, I make fun of me too. And hippies! Don't tell.

Seriously, you crack me up.
Also, I think I have those bowls. Ikea?

~Sayward
Bonzai Aphrodite

life according to celia... said...

i love how you always post later in the evening... inspiring me to whip up a delicious meal even though i have no business eating at this hour.
oh, and props for making fun of hippies. ;)

Lisa-Marie said...

Yum!My husband and I eat meat quite alot, but this is the kind of veggie food I like. Yum! I may have to look through your blog for vegan/veggie foods that are interesting, My husband is still a punk, and therefor we have lots of freinds who don't eat Lisa food.

Kristina said...

Gawd, you're hysterical. If you want a real throw-back-your-head-and-laugh experience (and you don't already own this book), I think the original Moosewood Cookbook, published circa 1973 is a treasure trove of weird hippie recipes. Carrot Mushroom Loaf? Soy Gevult? Aren't we all glad vegetarian cooking has come a long way in 40 years? Yeeeessss...

arugulove said...

Patton Oswalt references and hippie jokes? Best food blog entry evah!

Amanda Nicole said...

I love calling people/objects Dirty Hippie. This dinner is definitely Dirty Hippie, in a good way ;)

Sweet Charity said...

This was great!! Thanks!
I make fun of hippies all the time. And new-agers.
And ravers.
And those weird goth/raver hybrids that have somehow evolved... man, what is up with those kids? heeheehee!

marjean said...

I love quinoa. We eat it quite often in place of rice, often with just soya sauce. Your recipe looked interesting except for one missing ingredient...beans...it ain't real hippie food unless it has beans!

Kara said...

Oh thank you for making my morning so much better. That was the funniest blog post! Plus it makes me want some hippie chow...guess I'll have to wait for my CSA box!

Carmel said...

Definitely hippie chow, but so good and healthy. I'd be interested to hear about what you make when it's hot outside and turning on the oven is unbearable. Unless it's just all salad all the time.

Alicia Lynn Carrier said...

carmel, yeah we eat a LOT of salad when it's too hot- or we'll make a huge bowl of pasta salad and keep it in the fridge, or salad rolls, or cold noodles, or whatever is COLDDD.

also sayward- yes, ikea! i love ikea bowls.

karrey said...

OM NOM NOM. Help me get over my quinoa fear.

amber said...

i LOVE being called a hippie! we have hippie chow quite often. rock on with your hippie ways!

ab said...

I loooove piling it all up in a single bowl-- for instance, I just had sauteed broccoli and tofu with eggs on top, drizzled with Sriracha. Why? Guess I'm a hippie. I DO have a "Love Your Mother" bumper sticker, yo.

With this recipe, my husband would be like "where's the sausage?" but it does look pretty great...

Alicia Lynn Carrier said...

karrey, there's no reason to fear quinoa! it's really tasty. i like the texture a lot, too. it kind of pops in your teeth.

vanessa aka Nessie Noodle said...

ahh, so there is a name for what I hve been feeding my family! hee hee.

lovin' every minute of it.

Lynna said...

hah, so funny. I love the way you write because I feel like I'm right there talking to you.

♥peachkins♥ said...

those hippie meals are yummy!

The Leftoverist said...

How have I not been reading your blog until now?! I grew up in Bellingham, WA which is Hippie Central, and my mom was one of those mothers that only bought RyKrisp crackers and honey. No refined sugar, definitely no white rice. We even ate carob. I swore that when I grew up, I was going to spend all my money on Cocoa Puffs and Jif peanut butter. Famous last words. My kids beg for junk food just like I did.

Karen said...

it's kind of a paradox that i'm a target-shopping, ikea-lovin' hippie, no? but i am most definitely a hippie. i'm a vegetarian, i shop at thrift shops, i bitch about republicans in suits. i rail at myself for going to target (we don't have ikea here) but i go, anyway .... what is it about that place?

the name "hippie chow" is a little too reminiscent of "cat chow" for my liking ... although the idea of egg smooshed into all that veggie stuff sounds fabulous. backyard variety only, of course!

for the record, i have two obama/biden stickers on my car, one peace sign sticker, some random sun sticker thing, a random acts of kindness one ... you get it.

i do still shave things on my body though ... for anyone interested in TMI. mind you with some local yokel soap bar, sometimes patchouli.... ; P

Jessica said...

Hippie chow in all it's glorious variations is a favorite here for all meals!

Jenn Sutherland said...

This is one of my favorite posts in a long time (and I love them all)! I've been struggling with the "sameness" of my dishes for awhile now, and feel like I'm running aground for recipes for my own blog, and seem only capable of coming up with a zillion different ice cream recipes, because that's what summer does to me. I may take your idea and post our daily meals, too - exciting or not!

And I love hippie chow - also a frequent theme in our house! We just had hippie brunch - roasted potatoes, onions, red pepper with garlic and rosemary, topped with over-easy eggs...possibly one of my favorite meals ever, and all locally produced. Hooray for spring!

cindy* said...

haha, i make fun of hippies too...the chow looks super tasty though.

Alex said...

ahahaha!! ! I totally eat like this all the time. what a fucking hippie.

Sandi said...

Marjean, you're right about the beans, but as a Gen1DFH (now a Grandma Hippie) you know it has to be either garbanzo or adzuki beans to be true original Hippie Chow (TM). Or maybe lentils. My Gen2 hippie daughter insists that any beans will do, and her Hippie Chow is pretty tasty, so maybe there has been evolution.

Kelly J. Johnson said...

You are seriously one of the funniest people I have ever come into contact with. And your recipes rule. Thank you!

The Huang Family said...

YUM YUM. I should say HELLO. I"ve been following you silently for a long time. And i'm with you on the hippy jokes. I like to be green, and I also like to make fun of green people. Inless I'm hanging with conservatives. Then I am defensive.

Coconut Girl Connie said...

okay, I was a hippie, now baby boomer, whatever, your blog rocks...I love your pictures, recipes and your wit! Keep it up! Righteous, groovy...peace! Oh yeah, we ate mostly because we had the munchies...hee! hee!

Elizabeth Claire said...

HAHAHAHA you are a funny lady!! You win, win, win.

and those beets. MMHM.

diane starkey said...

This hippie has been a fan for a while. You've got me crying and snort laughing. Best post I've read in a long time. You hit the nail.

Vanessa said...

how about barley? ';'

Sally Mae said...

this is amazing! super funny!

jordo said...

YUM! i made hippie chow and added WAY TOO MUCH seracha....so for those weak of spicebuds, i threw in a little plain yogurt - AMAZING!

Alicia Lynn Carrier said...

we always keep the hot sauce on the side for just that reason :)

Jennifer said...

now those are my kinds of bowls! YUM!!!!

ubiquitous said...

i love food blogs! i can't believe i've only just found yours. awesome! hippie chow, yummmm

graffitiheart said...

Lady, I frickin' love you.

Kirby! said...

I make hippie chow at least once a week, except I call throwing all my shit in a bowl "mishmash" instead. And hey, I dig your blog!

Jenny said...

A Patton Oswalt quote! My favorite. I eat hippie chow frequently.. I just never knew the name for it.

sheenamad said...

mmmmm quinoa... nice one

Erika said...

Q: Where do you hide the rent money from the hippie?
A: 1.) Hide it under the soap! 2. Under the vacuum! 3. In the employment section of the newspaper!

Hilarious. Thanks for a great read, hippie. (And I could def feel the rainbow luv.)

Leah said...

you're awesome. *blog noted*

fille de lettres said...

i just stumbled upon your blog (and this entry today), and on a whim decided to make the peaches dessert tonight, but barbecued those suckers first and it was such an A plus, fresh-tasting, summer treat. thanks!!

idigress said...

"Whatever other vegetables you have lying around- broccoli would be good (IF IT DIDN'T MAKE ME FART SO MUCH), or green beans, or asparagus. Try to think "RAINBOW." Because you're a hippie."

Now THAT made me laugh.

Elaina said...

Just found your blog through Salt and Chocolate, and you are one funny hippie! my mom makes this all the time, but we've been calling it "garbage salad". I think hippie chow sounds more appealing.