Wednesday, May 6, 2009

enchilada sauce.

saucy

I've been really lazy about putting this recipe up, so I'm forcing myself to do it before bed- if it's not now, it's never going to happen. It's nothing too exciting, but still sort of mind-blowing to a girl who grew up with the absolute knowledge that enchilada sauce comes from a can. I'm not on a diet, and I'm not 100% strict with my eating habits, but I am making a pretty decent effort to avoid nasty foods, (hydrogenated oils, refined shit, etc.) just for overall health reasons. That doesn't mean I'm not going to have a salt bagel when I go to work, but it does mean I'm reading labels even closer than I was before, and if it's something we can whip out in a few minutes, why not make it at home instead of buying a gnarly can of mystery liquid?

enchilada3

My husband gave me the recipe after we had dinner the other night, and I keep staring at what I've written down, thinking- "Really? That's it?" It seems so simple, but OKAY DUDES- here you go. You want to make some enchilada sauce from scratch? Here's what Jason did:

Enchilada Sauce

1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock
3 seeded & soaked California chilies. (they're the ones that are about 4 inches long. you can find them in the Mexican aisle at the grocery store.)
1 clove of garlic
2 tbsp (more or less) chili powder
cumin "to taste" (I'd say a tablespoon or so?)
salt
a generous glug apple cider vinegar
1 can of tomato sauce
IMPORTANT EDIT!: my husband was just looking at this post and said, "Oh hey, you forgot to put down the corn starch." apparently it's pretty crucial for texture- just add about a tablespoon to the cuisinart and mix it in.

Seed dried chilies (it's easier to get the seeds out when they're dry) and soak in cool water until pliable. Combine all ingredients in food processor and taste periodically until, you know- it tastes like enchilada sauce. TA DAAAA. You made enchilada sauce. See? Now you understand why I keep second guessing myself and thinking I've forgotten something. This made about half a Classico jar of sauce, so like, 2 cups? A little less than 2 cups. It was enough for what we needed.

enchilada2

For the actual enchiladas, we just rolled up some corn tortillas with some grilled chicken that had been mixed up in a big bowl with cheese and the sauce, then topped them with more cheese and sauce, and baked them until the cheese got all melty. Jason went easy on the sauce because he was afraid he'd run out, but there was plenty, and I ended up just dumping all the leftover sauce on top of the uneaten enchiladas, to soak in for the next day. I was seriously blown away that this just tasted like enchilada sauce. I keep comparing it to what it must be like to taste homemade ketchup for the first time- which is seriously inspiring me to make some homemade ketchup. I'm on a roll, you guys. Homemade condiments? Why not?

29 comments:

Amanda said...

Ooooooh! Thank you!!!!! I can't wait to try this. I have an enchilada casserole that I have been making quite frequently, and every time I open that damn can of enchilada sauce I think to myself, "this really can't be healthy". Now I can make my own! Thanks again!

Suzie the Foodie said...

Why not indeed! I think this is a great idea and I'm going to try it. Thank you so much for posting this.

Jillian said...

I'll have to try this recipe sometime. The enchilada sauce I make has cocoa in it. This one looks equally wonderful!

Missy said...

Thank you for this post! I live in Finland and enchilada sauce is one of those ingredients that has never quite made it over here. Mexican food just isn't the same without it.

Kristen said...

I vote YES on homemade condiments. I make homemade ketchup and barbecue sauce and it is so much better than the store bought crap. Ketchup is really easy too and if you can't get fresh tomatoes (i.e. you don't want to walk to the grocery store or it's winter), we use canned ones about half the time and as long as they're well drained it works perfectly. I like to use a really good balsamic vinegar to give it a little extra zing.

I haven't tried homemade mustard yet but it's on my list of things for the summer.

beginningwithbread said...

This looks delicious. I find that the homemade version of just about everything is always better. I'll have to try this soon! Thanks!

carri said...

Awesome! I love the idea of homemade condiments.

Melanie said...

Mmmmm . . . this sounds yum. I'll have to bookmark it for the next time I make enchiladas.

Maija said...

It is amazing when you make something from scratch & then realize "huh, why do I need to buy this in a jar, box, etc?". Thanks for breaking down the enchilada sauce recipe - sounds tasty. I've done one that involved simmering tomatoes, but this sounds even easier & better!

By the way, I've been reading about making ketchup, too, so it's in the air. Here's a great blog entry on it:

http://foodloveswriting.com/2009/03/31/meant-to-be/

zoe said...

It came out great! Ive never made enchiladas, let alone my own sauce. This makes me want to try it!

Chloe said...

Fantastic idea. I've been experimenting with enchiladas recently, and I think this recipe is just what I've been looking for.

Also, you're funny and Portland-y and it makes me homesick for the West. Thank you.

Johanna said...

Oh thank goodness. I've been looking for a good enchilada sauce recipe. Thank you!

vanessa aka Nessie Noodle said...

those look yumo. thanks for sharing

hmm, now what about green enchillada sauce?

eileen said...

yay! enchilada sauce!!

Heather said...

That looks awesome!!!! I am totally making that tonight!

teryll said...

I love enchiladas, I make a mean batch I must say. And canned "enchilada" sauce does not do homemade sauce justice!

cindy* said...

amazing! i've been reading labels much more closely the last year or so, so this recipe is definitely perfect for the recipe binder. thanks!

Lisa said...

Mmm...I've been meaning to make enchiladas, thanks for the sauce recipe. It sounds really easy.

Coconut Girl Connie said...

I agree with you, anything we can do to reduce or completely eliminate the crap is a good thing. Thank you for your expertise!

Jenn Sutherland said...

YUM. I am going to whip up a batch of this sauce this morning, so we can have these for dinner tonight with some leftover chicken that's hanging out in the fridge. I'll let you know how they turn out! YUM.

I make homeade BBQ sauce, and it will put you off the bottled stuff forever! I blogged about it a few months ago:
http://thewholekitchen.blogspot.com/2008/12/roasted-sweets-with-homeade-bbq.html

Aran said...

looks delicious!

Eliana said...

Looks delish. Homemade is always better :)

ilovecarbs said...

You forgot to write "strain the sauce!" Or else it'll be all full of dried chili skins. I guess it's common sense. But then again I only know that because my mom does it when she makes posole. ^_^

Alicia Lynn Carrier said...

ilovecarbs- my husband didn't strain the sauce. either the skins got blended up just fine, or he pulled them off after re-hydrating the chilies.

tres jolie said...

Your blog is so clean and beautiful, I am so glad I found it!!

I have been making enchiladas repeatedly over the last few weeks. I will have to try mine with a bit of apple cider vinegar next time. I always add a tsp of coca powder to make it kind of like a mole sauce.

Karen said...

looks amazing! i bet a good vegan version would be to stuff the thing with spinach, mushrooms and nutritional yeast. just for all the vegans, or like me, half-vegans out there.

i feel the same way about my food processor and homemade sauces, dips. etc. why buy the gross canned/jar kind? it also eliminates waste into landfills.

Sarah Jane said...

thanks!! i really want to try this recipe:)

Karen said...

i made these for my dinner party last night! YUM!! fyi the veggie ones had chicken-style seitan in them that i'd pre-pan-fried. mixed with local monterey jack, and topped with cheddar and the sauce. the sauce was also inside the enchiladas.

the vegan yeast/spinach/mushroom ones came out nicely, too.

thanks for the sauce recipe, it's a keeper! i doubled it and got one quart-sized jar plus another tupperware container out of it. had enough to put inside and over the outside of 12 large tortillas.

Magnus said...

What size can of tomato sauce do you recommend?

Thanks!