Friday, March 20, 2009

sandwich.

yes3

yes

yes2

This afternoon I shared a grilled cheese sandwich with my son for lunch, using some Rogue Creamery white cheddar that my husband brought back up from his business trip the other day.

I don't remember having much cast iron cookware growing up, just an odd assortment of battered pots and pans. My mom did have a huge square frying pan that she used just for making grilled cheese sandwiches, though- I am pretty sure it was cast iron. She'd throw it on the stovetop and make 4 sandwiches at a time (4 kids! Mom, what were you thinking?!) and they were always perfect.

I picked up a small cast iron frying pan for us a couple of years ago from Ikea for like 10 bucks. We don't use it for everything, we have a pretty trusty set of stainless steel pots and pans for everyday use. Mostly, we use it to heat up tortillas for burritos, and occasionally we make AWESOME grilled cheese sandwiches. Thanks, Ikea.

19 comments:

Susan said...

Grilled cheese:simplicity & perfection :)

Tammie said...

that sandwich looks amazing.

and now i want fancy cheese.

Mara said...

God, that looks good.

Kaylen said...

Grilled cheese is the BEST. People make fun of me for ordering it out at restaurants. But I don't care. It's my third favorite food.

Nancy said...

I love cheese! That looks delicious

Blue is Bleu said...

I've actually been craving grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup... now I definitely have to make it happen this weekend!

maryelaw said...

Love your art and your food photos are just gorgeous.

kickpleat said...

Yum, I've been on a grilled cheese kick too. Rogue cheese? Rogue beer? Portland is awash in delicious edible scoundrels!

Sweet Charity said...

I have the same pan and also love to use it to make grilled cheese!

Katy said...

There's nothing like a well-seasoned cast iron skillet for cooking...well, just about anything! Good, even heat.

And grilled cheese is awesome. My husband makes the best grilled cheese ever...I always beg for it when I'm feeling under the weather or depressed and it never fails to cheer me up!

Monkha said...

Such a comfort food for me...
Hey, I have the same Ikea pan ;)
I put a piece of foil (those pieces we save and never seem to use) on top of the sandwich and place my smaller iron pan on top. It melts faster, flatter, and just like deli made grilled cheese. I learned this with my dad ;)

thea said...

That cheese looks SOOOOOOO yummy! I think I'm going t go make myself a grilled cheese sandwich in sympathy. Mmmmmm.

thea.
xx


(www.forthevisionaries.tumblr.com)

Carmel said...

There is something so perfect about a grilled cheese sandwich. Has anyone else heard that Tillamook has run out of sharp cheddar cheese?

Rebekka said...

What a great cast iron for ten bucks! Woah!

laura said...

Nothing beats a good grilled cheese. It's especially good with a slice of prosciutto tucked in!

The Duo Dishes said...

Thanks for letting us know where to get a cheap cast iron! Ikea, here we come.

Emily said...

Is there anything more perfect than a grilled cheese sandwich? -e

Oakley Rhodes said...

I've been CRAVING a grilled cheese with tomato soup lately. Canned tomato soup, no other will do!

erin said...

speaking of eggs AND cast iron, a well seasoned cast iron pan is the BEST for making eggs. No sticking ever!!