Sunday, March 15, 2009

miniature crustless quiche.

huevos

Well, you probably all remember my post about eggs that my friend gave me. After all the lovely suggestions, I ended up hard boiling all 6 of them and eating them plain with a pinch of salt, haha! (Not all in one sitting, of course.)

But, a funny thing happens when people find out you're kind of a nerd about food, especially home-grown food. People just start GIVING YOU AWESOME STUFF! I remember the same thing happening when I was younger and I began my camera collection- people just started coming out of the woodwork, "Oh, you like old cameras? Here, have this Argus! I've had this Canon in my closet for 15 years, would you like it?" No complaints over here, dudes. So, imagine my delight when my husband handed me an egg carton loaded with half a dozen blue-green eggs, given to him by a coworker.

miniquiches1

Just like last time, I was faced with the decision of WHAT TO DO WITH THESE FANCY EGGS? My husband scrambled 2, and ate them for breakfast with my son. The remaining 4 hung out in the fridge for a day or two, until this evening, when I came home from work STARVING. We'd had something else planned for dinner that we didn't get around to prepping for, so I was halfheartedly getting stuff together for some plain pasta when I saw the eggs. I knew I wanted them, but I didn't know what on earth I wanted to do with them. I had a fridge full of food (we do our grocery shopping on the weekends) but nothing specific in mind. I wanted something distinctly eggy, but not too rich or filling. Then, duh- quiche! Except- I was too lazy to make a crust, and I don't have a pie tin. The simple and obvious solution is to grease up my muffin pan and make mini crustless quiches, duh.

miniquiches2

I did a quick google search for 'crustless quiche' and snapped up the first recipe I found. All I really wanted to know was how much milk to add and how long to bake it, which ended up being moot, because I used a muffin tin, so the cooking time was pretty much cut in half. Here's what I ended up doing:

4 large eggs (BLUE ONES! BLUE ONES!)
3/4 cup milk
Vegetables! (I had 1 grated carrot,& a handful of chopped purple cauliflower, and some finely chopped fresh spinach)
1 small shallot, minced
1 clove of garlic, minced
handful of chopped fresh parsley
salami cut into small chunks
large handful of grated cheddar
about a tablespoon of flour (Why did I add this? Did it do anything? I don't know.)
salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 350ºf.

Quickly saute grated carrot and cauliflower with shallot & garlic (or like, whatever other vegetables you want/have on hand) until they soften, then set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, fresh parsley, fresh spinach, grated cheddar, and pinch of flour. Season with a small pinch of salt & some fresh cracked pepper.

Grease the bejeesus out of a muffin tin (or use muffin cups, I guess. I didn't have any.) with some butter. In the bottom of each cup, spoon in a small amount of sauteed vegetables. Add a few chunks of salami on top of that. Use a large spoon to drizzle egg mixture over each muffin cup, fill almost to the edge, they won't really puff up.

Bake for about 20 minutes or until firm and puffy. Allow to cool a little before attempting to remove.

miniquiches3

I had mine with an english muffin that I grabbed on my way out the door when I left work tonight. The english muffin came from Toast, a cafe near my work that makes all kinds of ABSOLUTELY AMAZING pastries from scratch using local organic blah blah you know the drill. I've been in love with their pastries for ages, and if you're in Portland you should really check it out. Plus they have awesome breakfast and they're just very nice people. Go there! The english muffins are to die for.

Anyway, this was my first attempt at making any kind of quiche all by myself, and I couldn't have been more pleased with the results. This is getting filed away for future use, especially since I often have the crucial ingredients (eggs, milk) on hand, and it's a cheap way to get protein on the table. Plus, it's kind of like breakfast for dinner, which rules.

44 comments:

Irene said...

I love doing exactly this! IMO, this is something that's impossible to mess up and there's a whole world of possibilities. I've never seen blue chicken eggs before - totally awesome!

Becks said...

What a great idea! And gluten-free! (not that you were planning on that). I've had quiche in my "to-make" list for like, a year, but I keep getting intimidated by the crust (so much work for so much disappointment). Thankyou for the recipe! I am totally bookmarking this.

mel-blog said...

Loooovely. Similar quiches are a mainstay on rotation as a lunchbox item for my boy to take to school (I will not succomb to sandwich monotony).

Helen said...

Oh god it's 9.20am here and I could SO eat them for breakfast now.

Angela said...

Who doesn't love brinner?! Very cute idea

katri said...

they look so sweet! i'm sure they'd be wonderful with some kind of soup, too. :)

Kristina said...

"Grease the bejesus out of your muffin tin..." That's hysterical. Thanks for making me laugh out loud.

Springtime is making me crave eggs, too. I made a big 'ol fritatta last week. I have to try these quiches, they look great.

MrsRum said...

Go you! Crustless quiche, even the 9 inch pie plate sized ones, is muy delicious. My kids will eat it even; and I don't feel bad about not making crust because a crustless quiche, in my book, is a "fritatta" which is all official-like in it's own right. Remember that any quiche can be crustless so don't just search up the crustless kind. Keep up the good work. :)

jek-a-go-go said...

lucky you! the eggs are stunning and who doesn't love mini food? i made a similar dinner the other night but just cooked it all up in a big cast iron skillet and stuck that in the oven. frittata fun! love the idea of the using the muffin tin. gonna do that sometime this week!

Caroline Belle said...

thanks so much for this recipe, I love quiche but I love mini ones even more!

Dawn said...

nothing like perfect on the go morning food. love these little gems.

jennifer said...

thank you!
from the bottom of my gluten-free and sometimes lazy-needing-a-quick-and-yummy-recipe heart!
so happy i found your blog.
xo

Soon, Then said...

Oh my is this a great idea or what!!! I recently made a crustless quiche, but my 3 year old wasn't terribly thrilled about it. But this, I think he would love because its mini!
And, my husband could sandwich them on a bagel with the love of his life: bacon. Yum!

laura said...

Amazing -- so beautiful!

Alix said...

Where do you work if you don't mind me asking? I LOVE LOVE LOVE Toast. My partner and I go there at least once a month for great breakfast food (if we can get someone to watch the little ones). We don't go anywhere else in the neighborhood really (except Delta every once and a while) and would love some suggestions of good food/drink spots close by.

Lena said...

Brilliant! Just yesterday I was dying to make quiche but also got intimidated/lazy about the crust. I might just make me some crustless quiche tonight!

Richard said...

Absolutely charming!
I had a similar idea a while back but didn't make it as I couldn't think of a name. (I know..)Crustless quiche is perfect!
Mark my words, my blog will soon be overrun by these little babies!

Rachel said...

you are so clever!

Kelly J. Johnson said...

This may be the best cooking idea I've ever heard of. I can't wait to try it!

The Fabulous One said...

I went to three different farms today for a midterm project and bought 2 dozen eggs, maple syrup and honey. All all-natural. All local.

Also exciting!

I can't wait to make quiche. I signed on today and saw your post and went "That's what I'll make! Quiche!"

I blame you for anything yummy that I make! ;P

Loulou said...

So glad I stumbled upon your beautiful site! You must have been reading my mind (or I was reading yours) as I was thinking about making some mini crustless quiches when I notices a neglected mini muffin pan in one of our cupboards over the weekend.
Merci!

flamingrose said...

I made these last night, and they puffed up and leaked a bit in my oven....
But they were delicious!

The Duo Dishes said...

Why are the eggs blue? That's hella interesting! This is a good recipe to file away because we have only used 4 of the dozen and a half eggs we got on sale this weekend. Sweet.

Alicia Carrier said...

some chickens lay blue eggs! there are chickens who lay pink eggs, too. just like there are some chickens who lay brown eggs. MYSTERY OF SCIENCE.

cindy* said...

i love eggs, a lot. we have them at least once a week for dinner, usually in fritatta form. these sound fantastic!

girlsavage said...

I saw this and had to try it for lunch! I used feta cheese, shallot, garlic, mushroom and spinach. Truly decadent on a buttered english muffin!
Oh and... Grease the bejeesus out of a muffin tin. I now know why you said that...These buggers really want to stick, but they were too yummy to care.

sarah swingset said...

i love them! anything simple and in miniature form is tops in my book!!

Tammie said...

i made these tonight. they're delicious. i used chopped broccoli and carrots but the possibilities are endless. awesome recipe.

Vanessa said...

If you didn't want it to be crustless I bet you could use a few layers of one of those flaky biscuits that come in a tube in the refrigerated section.

the haystack needle said...

What a great idea! Perfect for someone like me who's never made a crust and doesn't stock readymade crusts in her freezer. Looks delicious!

Rebecca said...

oh my gosh.. i might try this tomorrow morning. what an awesome idea!

Michelle said...

I didn't realize that crustless quiche was possible -- now I know what the kids and I are having for lunch! Our eggs will be store bought, though, unless the girls out in the coop suddenly started laying this morning.

I love the greenish-blue eggs, too, but not as much as you do. In a few months, we'll be foisting extra eggs off on anyone who will take them.

My open roads said...

wow, these look so yummy and easy to make! I will definitely be trying your recipe out soon! Thanks!

Treehouse Chef said...

Love the photos and the mini quiche looks fabulous!

earthycrunchy said...

my chickens lay BLUE ONES!! And I am definitely going to try this recipe. Great on-the-go snack or something to put in my kids' lunches. If you lived near me, you could come over and get some eggs any time you wanted! Oh, and yes, since I am reading the comments..gluten-free!

Emily said...

These look absolutely delicious! What a clever idea to use the mini muffin tins! -e

Jennifer said...

Most quiche recipes that call for flour do so for appearance...by adding the flour - the top of the quiche will look lovely and brown.

Did you know the color of the eggs is determined by the color of the chicken?

jackie connelly photography said...

"flamingrose said...

I made these last night, and they puffed up and leaked a bit in my oven....But they were delicious!"

Yes mine puffed up and spilled over as well, but loved them so much i'll just be only filling the tins up 3/4 of the way next time. Will chime in on the "yay for gluten free" feedback too, and that they are so flexible to make with whatever veggies & herbs on hand. Thanks so much for the yummy idea!

Alia said...

Hey lady, if you get this comment tonight, let me know how many this recipe makes, because I'm making some for an Easter shindig tomorrow. I'm sure I'll see you on AIMZZ..

florette and her cakes said...

this is the sort of thing I never remember when I have to prepare my tupperware, and It's excellent. Plus a good source of proteins

Sammy said...

I make these all the time! They are just the perfect shape and size for an english muffin or small bagel sandwich. Here is how mine turned out:
http://bitemefoodblog.blogspot.com/2009/08/brunch-club-august-edition.html

Thanks again! I love all your recipes.

Marisa@make*happy said...

Thanks for this! It was just what I needed the other night for dinner.

I blogged about mine and linked to yours. LOVE your blog.

rbarenblat said...

Thanks for this recipe -- I'm going to make a variation on this later today!

RHONDA said...

I have been making crustless quiche forever- but have never tried the muffin tin idea- Looking forward to trying this for a birthday dinner side dish. I add about a teaspoon of quick dissolving flour to my recipe and use fat free milk that I have frothed. Tastes and looks like thick cream. Anything other than fat free or skim will not froth well.