Wednesday, January 14, 2009

secret aardvark sauce.

Do you miss us? I have a photo date with Summer in just about an hour, so fear not- your baked goods jones will be fulfilled later today (hopefully)! But, until then- may I sing the praises of Secret Aardvark Sauce? They don't seem to have a proper website, but I think you can find all the information you need through that link to their myspace page.

secret

Listen, dudes- I'm not a Hot Sauce Person. I've never been one of those people who will sully a perfectly good omelette with tabasco (ahem- Jason?) and I rarely reach for the sriracha unless I'm cooking at home (I keep things somewhat mild for my son, so we do have to add spice to our own plates). I like spicy food, but I don't need spice for the sake of spice. Most of the Hot Sauce People I know are now, or have been vegan- a defense mechanism against bland tofu and unattractive piles of hippie chow? Maybe! I mean, I know hot sauce is good- but you don't have to put it on EVERYTHING, ALL THE TIME, right? Right?

secret2

So let's say that a large bottle of Sriracha or a medium-sized bottle of Tapatio takes several months (or up to a year!) for us to go through- okay? We like hot sauce, we keep a space clear for it on our condiment shelf, but we aren't HOT SAUCE PEOPLE. Or rather, we weren't. Dudes, this shit is so bomb, OH MY GOD! Jason used to have it on his food when he worked at the Paradox Cafe (a vegan/veggie joint- see? See? Vegans need hot sauce to survive.) but I had never tried it before. Because, you know- I'm not a Hot Sauce Person.

Anyway, long story short- I've been eating so many damn burritos since we picked up this bottle, just so I have an excuse to plop hot sauce all over them. It's a habanero sauce, so it's rather spicy, but it has something smokey to it that is really tasty. I have eggs for breakfast so I have an excuse to drizzle them. We've had this bottle for a couple of weeks and it's already 3/4 of the way gone. It has earned a permanent place on our condiment shelf, next to the Sriracha, ketchup, and stone ground mustard. Welcome to the family, Secret Aardvark! I love you.

18 comments:

Lindsay said...

That sounds fantastic! I'm not sure where I'll be able to track it down in Canada, but I will definitely try. I'm also not a hot sauce person, but I am absolutely in LOVE with Valentina, a flavorful but not very hot, Mexican hot sauce.

Brett & Shrie said...

On a recent visit to Portland we discovered this sauce and are in love! We ARE hot sauce people (coming from Texas and all) and I'm ecstatic to see you, who I read often on my Google Reader, acknowledge it! Yay Secret Aardvark!

Devora said...

I LOVE this hot sauce! I lived in Portland for a summer and had it at Cup & Saucer on Hawthorne all the time, and didn't realize that Portland was the only place I could get it. I bought a bottle when I went back for a visit, and I keep it squirreled away in my pantry for special occasions!

Lauren said...

What if I don't live in Portland? Does anyone sell this sauce online? I'm not a hot sauce person but I think I could be if I just met the right bottle...

Mui said...

have I told you I love your writing? ;) Now I HAVE to have that sauce. :D

Alex said...

if I could marry a condiment it would aardvarks, just sayin.

Stacey Snacks said...

People who constantly douse their food w/ hot sauce are really not wanting to taste the food! (like my brother!).
I grew up using ketchup on EVERYTHING. wonder why?

Sayward Rebhal said...

Haha, I am a vegan AND hot sauce enthusiast, but I've always loved spicy since back in the pre-gan days. =) Aardvark is one of my favorites!

So glad you guys are back! I assure you, the internets missed you.

kickpleat said...

we had this hot sauce at the tin shet last time we were in portland, so we walked over to the co-op down the street and bought some. so good.

joanita said...

i want to try. ! that looks like one tasty tasty sandwich !
http://mylittle-way.blogspot.com/

Katie D. said...

This post is so passionate that Secret Aardvark Sauce is going on my grocery list RIGHT NOW. Along with other special things like milk, eggs, bread, and butter. I haven't been grocery shopping in a while.

katri said...

that sounds great! and i love the fact it's called aardvark sauce. :) i could really use something like that over here in the cold and dark scandinavia.

teryll said...

This blog made me laugh. I am indeed a hot sauce lover, a spice fanatic. Srichcha, Tapatio and Tabasco are proudly condiments in my fridge. God bless the hot sauce!

Soon, Then said...

I've actually never tried the Aardvark hot sauce, but I HIGHLY recommend the Black Bean Garlic Sauce! It is a staple at our house. We cook up some spaghetti and use it like soba noodles, the stir fry some veggies with tofu or chicken, mix it all up with the noodles and douse it in the black bean sauce. Amazing and so easy!
You can find it at New Seasons in the oriental food aisle, unless they're out, because it seems more and more people are discovering this delectable treat!

RocĂ­o said...

I'm a pretty big fan of all things spicy, so I'm curious to try this hot sauce! Anyone in Portland willing to send me some bottles of this magic sauce? It sounds like it would be worth my money...

Karen said...

indeed, hot sauce *must* be on everything. how could it be any other way? (i am a hot sauce addict, but mine is frank's red hot. holy freaking YUM.)

hehe. to each his own, i'll keep eyes peeled for this stuff!

Krista said...

This sauce is made by my brother-in-law who is currently battling stage IV pancreatic cancer (not a good thing)... so keep enjoying the sauce and send all the good karma and prayers you can come up with his way!

Miracle Minnie said...

I just ate a bowl of chips for breakfast so I could adorn each one with some Secret Aardvark. Now I'm thinking of picking up a veggie burrito at the taqueria down the street just to put it on. I hope I can find a larger bottle of it soon, though, because I will definitely go through these 11oz ones quickly. (I go through a large bottle of sriracha in about 2 months)...