Tuesday, January 6, 2009

mom pizza.

Man, when it rains, it pours, right? RIGHT? First, Summer's laptop pooped out a few weeks ago, and now she's got some kind of crazy virus on her desktop computer and she can't get online. Regular posting will resume... as soon as we can get it going, haha. Stuff happens, dudes.

Anyway!

mompies

The other day, I dropped in on some friends (actually, their 7 year old spied me walking down the street past their house and they waved me down and invited me in.) around lunch time and they made these simple little snacks. It was one of those DUH moments- something I'm sure everyone has experienced, right down to the first time someone dipped a french fry in ketchup. DUH! I watched them spend all of 3 minutes in the kitchen preparing "pizza" and when it came out, there it was- DUH DUH DUH!

mompies2

I am sort of starting to think I should maybe get Trader Joe's to sponsor us (yeah, right) since I'm always namedropping, but what can I say? They're in my neighborhood, they're cheap, and they have all kinds of awesome crap. So anyway, I pointed at the pizzas and said, "Wait, are those-" Yes, just prepackaged flatbreads, a dollop of sauce, some cheese, ta-da. Pizza.

mompies3

I always think of food like this as mom food, or bachelor food- just any kind of food that requires almost no effort whatsoever. Boiled hot dogs? Delicious! Mac & Cheese from a box? Okay! When I got pregnant, of course I was convinced that I'd never feed my kid gross kid food (he's going to have a REFINED palate! HA. HA. HA.) but then I find myself asking him if he wants a cheese burrito with ketchup. (He doesn't like quesadillas. Just cheese burritos. Okayyy.) So, anything that gets us out of our regular lunch rut, AND is super easy and tasty- totally fine with me.

So, in case you're way out of the loop like me, here's a heads up. Flatbreads. Sauce. Cheese. Today I layered thinly sliced zucchini on mine because I love zucchini and pasta sauce- for my son's pizza I did finely chopped zucchini so he wouldn't have to bite through the slices. Put them in your oven for a few minutes and then gobble them down. The easiest snack ever.

mompies4

Okay guys, this new year is already a little hectic but we do have plans for some fun stuff in the future. Look for more healthy fare (Summer's hopping on my hippie bandwagon, it seems). I'm headed to San Francisco tomorrow morning for a few days to celebrate my best friend for many years getting married, and I'll be back in business by Monday at the very latest.

28 comments:

Angela said...

I was just at TJ's this past weekend, and one of the cashiers pointed at my garlic naan and said that people are using those as pizza crusts as well. Who doesn't love more garlic? Just thought I'd share that :-)

karrey said...

I like making pizza on loaves of Italian or French bread (but mostly Italian, because I don't like breaking my teeth on crust). Don't get me wrong, homemade crust is the bomb diggity. However, when I want easy, this is what I do.

heidi said...

I live on these- guilty as charged. (I'm a mom.) I make them on tortilla shells most often.

I'm so in love with this little darling of a blog. I'm excited to see the crunchy hippie foods to come.

Kristina said...

You totally need to try store-bought pitas with sauce, cheese, and veggies. Pita Pizza, good stuff.

Jessie Cacciola said...

i've been planning to make fresh pizza (i've got some spinach and asiago in the fridge). thanks for the post!

Cat said...

Funniest post ever!! I also bragged about the refined palate that my kid would have, and he just had a tortilla and cheese for dinner. So funny.

jk said...

This looks wonderful and your pictures are always beautiful. Bummer about the computer issues!

Geosomin said...

Yup...love flatbread as a pizza.
I'm a fan of flatbread with some pesto, and some mushrooms, feta and spinach with a bit of cayenne and olive oile tossed in as pizza on a cold lazy winter day.

Now I'm hungry...

amyo said...

I love it when I discover something that is simple and healthy! Thanks.

kyra said...

i just found you and i am IN HEAVEN!!! thank you for loving food and for posting this fun, simple, yummy snack idea!

eileen said...

you have totally found the trick to superfast pizza! I do this ALL the time. It works with pita too, especially if you like thin crust and separate the two halves of the pita for two pizzas of ultimate criposity. YES.

Heather said...

yum. what a great recipe! i love the zucchini!! it looks so good :)

The Fabulous One said...

I was just sitting here going "I could do for a little snack," and now I read this.

Damn.

If only Whole Foods was open 24/7, I'd be in the car, jammies be damned!

You're a bad influence.

Lilly's Home said...

Here's an additional idea my family loves:
Pita or tortilla, spread ranch dressing over surface, sprinkle minced onion about a tsp, cut up broccoli into small pieces and sprinkle over, cover with mozzarella cheese or a mix of mozzarella and cheddar. Bake till cheese bubbles and begins to brown.

bellaeats.com said...

My hubb used to make these for us all the time when we were dating in college...we were just talking about how long its been since we've made them!

I just found your blog through Care to Eat, and I'm pretty sure, in fact I pretty much know, I"m going to love you guys!

Christen said...

Thanks for posting such great recipes -- I'm so glad to have found your blog!

lisa said...

Yum! That pizza looks great. I like making pizza on lavash flatbreads, which I can find easily at the grocery store.

Lola and Ava said...

Isn't amazing how cheap TJ's can be? I buy their Gorgonzola Cranberry tart. I went to another store & they were selling the same tart for double!

I love the blog. Especially the photos. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait for the crunchiness to begin.

L

Vanessa said...

I have posted a link to your blog on mine, since you two are the ones that inspired me to finally start one of my own. :)

ilovecarbs.wordpress.com

Christina said...

mom pizza = essential food group. :)

asiajane said...

Pizzas are an all-time favorite at our house, too. I like to make my own dough but I also use tortillas, French bread loaves, and bagels regularly. My kids could exist solely on pizza and bean & cheese burritos!

I'm so happy to have found your blog (I had googled "pumpkin chocolate chip cupcakes," which I made for my daughter's 2nd birthday and they were delicious!). I love your attitude and photos and I look forward to future posts!

HangryPants said...

The pizza looks fabulous! I love simple things like that. So tasty and satisfying.

racheleats said...

I don't really need another blog to distract me but I fear you have and I will be blaming you both tomorrow when I am doing some work avoiding searching in your archives. Great blog - with recipes want to make, great writing, stunning pictures.
Pizza looks great and I have high standards living a hop skip and jump from 2 of the best pizzerie in Rome.

jek-a-go-go said...

e been on an english muffin and tomato paste pizza kick. sooo good, all sorts of topping options as well! my mom used to set us up when i had a sleep-over. love those tiny traditions!

shakeandshiftdesign said...

I've made these using whole what pitas as the crust...sooo goood...

Jenni said...

i make these all the time! never thought of zucchini on them, though. i'll have to try it! :)

jenni jones said...

I am so thankful for this recipe! I am not yet a mom, but a wife with little energy some nights for making dinner. this is great and yummy.

Sarah said...

Who *doesn't* absolutely love Trader Joe's? You should ask about the sponsorship. There's not a TJ in the town I'm living in now and it's a sad sad world when I go grocery shopping. I miss the $1.50 salsa that's absolutely amazing.