Wednesday, December 17, 2008

italian wedding soup.

Okay, okay- I swear we don't eat nothing but soup! Really! It's just been so cold and icy, and we've been all hunkered down in our little cave- soup is easy, healthy, and great leftover. So, here's another.

weddingsoup

Last night was my husband's company holiday party, and, well- to put it lightly, they know how to throw a rager. We stayed out late, stumbled out of our cab at 3 a.m., and I was feeling it pretty hard today. I didn't feel like making ANYTHING for dinner, but luckily my husband came home with the goods for this amazing soup. It was perfect- filling without being too heavy, brothy without being too weak, filled with healthy vegetables, but satisfying in a way that only meatballs made of sausage can be. I'd never even heard of Italian wedding soup before, but apparently it has tons of variations, with the main elements being meatballs and greens. We used pork sausage and kale for ours.

weddingsoup3

Italian Wedding Soup

3/4 lb. bulk Italian sausage, or ground meat. (If you buy ground meat like beef or chicken, I'd recommend seasoning them before you cook them, mix with some finely chopped garlic and onions, some basil, and "italian seasoning." Use an egg and some bread crumbs to hold them together.)
1 yellow onion, diced
1 large carrot, diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
1 medium to large zucchini, diced
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/2 a bunch of kale, roughly chopped
1 large can of diced tomatoes
1 sprig of fresh rosemary
some fresh thyme
8 cups of vegetable or chicken stock
a pinch of chili flakes
salt & pepper to taste
2 cups of orzo pasta

In a very large pot, fry the meatballs until browned. Remove from pot and save on a plate. Saute onions, carrots, celery, zucchini, and garlic until onions become glassy. Dump in the tomatoes to deglaze the pan, stir, and add stock. Add a pinch of fresh thyme, but save the rest for garnish. Season with salt & pepper, chili flakes, and rosemary. Add kale, simmer for few minutes. Add meatballs a few minutes before serving to ensure they're cooked all the way through. Cook pasta in a separate pot, drain, and add before serving.

15 comments:

kansas said...

mmmm...one of my favorites. all this ice and snow has got me craving quiche. weird right? my champagne hangover from last night is still kicking me in the head.

Knick Knock said...

my house is full of winter stew goodness at the moment as my husband has cooked Bigos for the first time in our slow cooker. I'm working from home and don't know if I'll be able to hold off till this evening before I tuck in. A Cabbage and meat fest totaly different to your soup but a great winter dish. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigos

Mui said...

mmm yum yum! italian wedding soup, or 'noces à l'italienne' as we way in french, is one of my all time favourites but I didn't have a recipe to make it at home yet! Thanks!

Denise said...

this looks so good, i am going to try to make it (:

Jesse said...

I'm so over not eating meat. This sounds amazing. I'd heard of it, but never really knew what was in it.

Michelle said...

Yum. My mom's always used escarole. She called it "Scharole Soup" and it wasn't until years later I found out other people called it Italian Wedding Soup.

Aran said...

i am such a soup person.... this looks deliciously healthy and hearty!

Michelle said...

Wow! That looks sooo good! My favourite food is soup- summer here and we're still eating soup!

heidi said...

Thank you for posting this!!! My sig other and I were *just* talking about finding a recipe for Italian Wedding Soup. Y-U-M, I will follow your recipe for sure.

Danh said...

Just stumbled upon your blog, I am seriously impressed. The recipes and photos are amazing.

Chocolatesa said...

This sounds sooo much better than the Campbell's version I tried once!

Oakley Rhodes said...

This looks absolutely perfect for this weather.

Also- Could you help me spread the news that this Saturday's downtown Farmers' Market has been cancelled? I work for them and they want to use the blogosphere to make sure as many people as possible know not to show up.

There's more info at my blog.

Thanks, enjoy the snow!

The Cook said...

Looks delicious, I love soups on cold, cold days. YUM!

Kristina Smith said...

I'm really suprised that you've heard of it out in Portland, (well, a variation there of. Ours looks a little different.) It's really a north east ohio dish.

The Guilty Carnivore said...

I've used New Season's ground hot chicken Italian sausage in this soup with good results.