Sunday, December 21, 2008

gingerbread cake.



Oh, Portland- you've surprised us this year. Instead of the usual couple inches of snow during January, you have covered yourself with a very thick blanket of snow mid-December and have been wearing it for a week now. When I looked out our bedroom window yesterday morning, I couldn't believe it was the same old street I have been looking down upon the past few years. It looks like an image from an old Christmas movie: families bundled up in big coats and scarves, holiday lights strung on houses, and snow everywhere. I must say, I am quite smitten with this change in you and quite sad that I am going to be missing out on the white Christmas you are surely to bring as I pack up and head out to sunny California tomorrow.

Do you know what's delicious during days like this? Homemade gingerbread cake with cups of black tea. I baked one a couple of days ago using one of my favorite recipes and have been enjoying it greatly. What better way to spend a snowy morning then with warm blankets, cake and tea with cream & honey, and the murmur of a cozy house.



Gingerbread Snacking Cake: from Martha Stewart Living

Ingredients:

8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
1 cup boiling water
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup unsulfured molasses (I ran out and used 1/2 cup molasses and 1/2 cup pure maple syrup and it worked perfectly)
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
2 large eggs, room temperature, lightly beaten
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9-by-13-inch cake pan; set aside.

In a bowl, combine boiling water and baking soda; set aside. In a large bowl, sift together flour, ground spices, salt, and baking powder; set aside.

With an an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, cream butter until light. Beat in brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in molasses and grated ginger, baking-soda mixture, and flour mixture. Beat in eggs.

Pour batter into prepared pan; bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares; dust with confectioners’ sugar.

20 comments:

Tatersmama said...

Oooooh YUM !
My mother used to make gingerbread cake and serve it with lemon sauce... and I LOVED it!!
I never got her recipe, but I'm going to give this one a try. :o)

debbie said...

that looks mighty tasty! too bad my street is too iced over to get to the store for ingredients :)

Oakley Rhodes said...

I'm leaving for CA tomorrow, too. Part of me really hopes I get stranded, I would really love a white christmas.

Rhonda said...

I live just outside portland on the washington side at the mouth of the Gorge, and im telling you this weather is awesome for baking stuff. Your gingerbread cake makes my heart all melty.

becka said...

Yum! I love gingerbread cake! I also love that I have all these ingredients at the ready, and I don't have to venture out in the crazy amount of snow we've gotten up here in Vancouver, but can just watch it fall from the warmth of my couch.

Lisa said...

Sounds and looks yummy! I'm on vacation will Jan 5th...this will be on baking list for sure! Thanks! I may even leave in the 1/2 cup maple syrup, sounds great.

msfiend said...

Yummm! Definitely going on my "must make" list.

It's not so sunny here, in SoCal, a some rain is moving in. But, definitely no festive Christmas-time snow.

Em Xero said...

Don't be so sure about sunny California. I have a couple of feet of snow here in Victorville. The mojave desert is a blanket of white. It's beautiful.
That recipe looks great. Nice to eat it warm with a cup of chai.

Melissa said...

Pretty Pictures! Gingerbread cake is so yummy especially with tea.

Christy said...

I'm a new finder of your blog, and I tried this recipe tonight for dessert for my husband and I...it was fantastic and came out wonderfully! Thanks so much for posting it! :)

Heather said...

gingerbread is so perfect, huh? i just love it. yours looks lovely!

kaitlin said...

Your entry made me pull out my woolly socks...and head to the kitchen for some gingery snacks! Happy holidays :)

Kate said...

I just made this tonight, and it turned out deliciously. Thanks!

wildflower mama said...

oh bullshit with your fricken' snow. sending you warm thoughts to get you and your lovely family down to so cal where christmas awaits! missing you all.

Karencilla said...

This looks yummy! my dad loves ginger. As soon as our home raised ginger plant is ready I'll try this recipe.

btw, about the cake balls (Pink Party-awesome idea!) how do i do the vanilla cream cheese??
I want to try this recipe for Xmas eve.
Thanks so much!
Karen

Stephen said...

This looks great. Im researching on gingerbread recipes cos I want to make my own killer recipe for Christmas. Thanks! Steve

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Thanks for the recipe that looks delicious. As I peruse blogs my Xmas baking list just grows longer and longer :).

Divine Imaging said...

looks amazingly light and fluffy. delish

Franks said...

I'm trying this recipe now! :D
Its the first time i've ever used 'cups' instead of grams... will let you know how it turns out :)

Naked Maggie said...

That is absolutely beautiful! Looks just like my mom's.
So simply. The simple things are always the best. Thanks for sharing.