Monday, December 22, 2008

cheddar broccoli soup.

Yeah yeah yeah, soup. I don't even have anything funny to say about it. I'm just about all out of sense of humor after a few days of this:

park2

We're still huddled under layers of snow and ice (literally- outside it goes snow-ice-snow, and tonight we'll probably get a new layer of ice on top of that.) and trying to find ways to keep warm. A hot mug of cheddar soup definitely solves that problem.

cheddarsoup3

You'll need:

1 pound of cheddar cheese, grated finely (we used Tillamook.)
1 finely chopped onion
2 cloves of crushed garlic
"a big chunk of butter"
a handful of flour
3-4 cups of stock
1 cup of milk
3 smallish heads of broccoli, chopped into small bites
bay leaf
white pepper

First, lightly steam the broccoli and then rinse in cool water to halt the cooking process. Set aside. In a large soup pot, melt a hunk of butter and saute onions and garlic until glassy. Toss in a few pinches of flour and whisk until you have a roux. Toast the roux lightly, then add stock a little at a time, stirring continuously with a whisk. Add milk in the same manner, then a bay leaf. Begin to sprinkle in cheese, still stirring continuously. Incorporate the cheese as it melts. Continue to stir, season with some white pepper. Stir in broccoli and allow it to heat up. Let soup thicken a little and spoon into mugs.

cheddarsoup4

This was incredibly rich and very delicious. As my husband pointed out- you don't really have to dress up a pound of cheese- it kind of does the work for you. Plus, if you eat enough of it, you'll have plenty of extra padding to protect you from freezing cold weather.

Edited to add: This has been one of our more popular recipes, and I've gotten a lot of emails about it. Please keep in mind that the cheese must be grated rather finely, and you need to add it very slowly, being sure to mix it in thoroughly before adding more, or else it will not incorporate and you'll end up with stringy, lumpy soup. It's not difficult, it just requires patience. Good luck!

27 comments:

Melissa said...

This looks super delicious. Just looking at it warms me up. :)

Soon, Then said...

I hear ya. I've about had it with this snow too! Nobody likes to be cooped up, but especially not with a stranded Christmas looming around the corner! Here's hoping the roads clear up soon. Stay warm!

Susan said...

Another Portlander here. In three days I've gone from "It's so amusing to watch people here try to drive in an inch of snow" to "Grrr I'm just going to stay home and make soup for the rest of my life." Maybe when I'm done with the huge batch of bean soup I made, I'll try this one...

Mary Beth said...

That looks incredibly delicious.

The Fabulous One said...

Holy crappadoodles! It's been so cold here, and now all I want is a delicious steaming cup of cheesy goodness studded with little broccoli florets.

I'm blaming you for anything cheesy and fattening that I ingest this week.

Justine said...

This looks delicious, Alicia, thank you!

Robin said...

This looks so amazingly yum I want some now. :)

AdventuresInSF said...

I am absolutely a huge fan of your blog, and love the gorgeous photos that you take!! This post was especially nice to read as cheddar broccoli soup is one of my all time favorites! Keep on writing and stay warm! :)

Stella said...

The soup looks amazing!

Hang in there with the snow. I don't know if it's any consolation, but I walked 30 minutes to work in -30 degree celsius weather this morning (-22 fahrenheit, I think). And it's been like that for days.

Yay Canadian (Ontario) winters! Yay soup!

Knick Knock said...

Wow that's a lot of snow (and ice!!)
I'm throwing a Christmas eve party tomorrow and have mulled some wine...it's a great winter warmer.

Heidi said...

Love your blog. :)

I'm in Vancouver, BC and we're under that same weather system....snow, ice, more snow, more ice, etc... It's remarkable! But I think I have to make your soup, it sounds DE-LISH. Just seems natural to make hearty soups this time of year, no?

Thanks for sharing all your wonderful recipes, I'm a fan. :)

Hannah said...

oh man cheddar broccoli soup is by far my fave. i want this so bad!

Natasha said...

I made this last night and...oh. So good! Subbed 1/2 and 1/2 for milk and nearly passed out on the couch after dinner. Thank goodness we didn't have any bread or I would have been a goner!

Mamalion said...

Yay! Thank you! I've been looking for a good broccoli and cheddar soup recipe!

Molly said...

Looks wonderful! Stay warm. We're getting another two to three inches tonight... and tomorrow, and tomorrow. Happy holidays!

Dawn said...

I am so making this, maybe with a splash of sherry.
Been looking & craving a good broc & cheddar soup for ages now.
awesome!

Emily said...

Ahh, my favorite soup listed on my birthday! A sign? I think so...

wakemeupinside said...

I just made this soup tonight for dinner. Broccoli Cheddar soup is my favorite ANYWAY but oh my lord this was amazing. Thank you for this recipe.

vegalicious said...

I know how you feel about that sense of humor! Snow does that to me too.

Jackie said...

This sounds delicious. I had a quick question though, did you have any troubles reheating this for leftovers? The last time I made broc/cheddar soup it separated when I reheated it... not so good. just curious. thanks.

Alicia Carrier said...

jackie- no, i didn't have that problem at all. in fact, these photographs were taken the following afternoon when i had reheated it for lunch!

The Fabulous One said...

Dear Alicia,

I blame you for that delicious pot of soup I made tonight. It was so friggin' cheddar-y good, and I made fresh bread, too.

And I'm positive that my butt is gonna get bigger now.

All your fault ;P

Happy New Year!

Rebecca Chernay said...

Hi, long time reader, first time commenter. I tried this recipe night before last and holy geez, it was really good. I posted it up on my food blog, with credit and a link of course. I will definitely have to try more of these instead of just drooling over the photos.

Sladie Wolf said...

This looks absolutely delicious. Perfect when you live in Northern Alberta and winter IS the weather.

Many thanks for sharing!

Starzipan said...

i don't know what i did wrong...my soup never combined, just broth with gooey chunks of cheese wrapping around the broccoli. :-\ did i not stir enough? was it not hot enough? do you have any suggestions?

ellan said...

i've been eyeing this recipe for weeks, and i finally bought a beautiful bunch of broccoli and went to town making it...my husband and i are making ourselves sick on it at this very moment! thanks so much for a great recipe that is perfect for 9 degree weather here in Chicago!

Sara said...

The recipe looked great, especially since I typically have all the ingredients on hand. When I made it though, the cheese made itty bitty lumps. Any suggestions?