Thursday, November 27, 2008

quick cranberry sauce.

So, last night as Summer and I indulged in a pie extravaganza, I asked her if there was anything else I could help her out with before I went home, knowing she had a big day of cooking ahead of her. She shrugged, looked around, and said I could make the cranberry sauce. She handed me a battered old cookbook and pointed out the recipe.

cranberrysauce

I know that yes, the simplest cranberry sauce comes from a can, but everybody always makes fun of that cylinder of jelly- the idea of making my own cranberry sauce is very appealing. And it only took a few seconds to throw everything together.

You need:

2 cups of granulated sugar
2 cups of water
1 lb. of fresh cranberries

and- optional, Summer likes to add chunks of fresh orange to hers.

Just bring the water and sugar to a boil, and boil for 3-5 minutes. Add cranberries, bring back to a boil, then lower heat a little bit and allow to cook without stirring for a few minutes until the cranberry skins begin to pop (I had to do a little bit of stirring because the liquid didn't quite cover the cranberries). Add orange chunks, if you wish. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature before refrigerating.

cranberrysauce2

10 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Cranberry sauce is my favorite part of the Thanksgiving feast, so I LOOOOOVE your recipe!! :-)

About this Tim Roth guy... said...

We did almost the same thing at the same time, only used honey and orange zest and the gamut of spices that would normally go in a pumpkin pie. The orange zest really infused the sauce after sitting overnight. Delicious thanksgivingness.

nimblejacks said...

Yum! Hey do you have a really good Xmas pudding recipe? It's stir up sunday this weekend in the Uk I've never made my own pud before my mum used to do it. Any help gratefully accepted!
Claire Wales UK

Knick Knock said...

I've make something similar for Christmas Dinner in the UK. ....but I don't have such a lush retro saucepan.
Hope you had a great thanksgiving!

Lilly's Home said...

Making and eating cranberry sauce is lovely! Your sauce looks so good!! My daughter made the cranberry sauce yesterday, and added the zest of 1 orange and 1 lemon. I also love to add walnuts.

olive said...

Orange zest and juice are excellent additions, as well.
Mmm, so good on leftover turkey sandwiches!

Sabra said...

I use half the sugar. (Well, Splenda.) And add in half a jar of no-sugar-added orange marmalade.

Jesse said...

Homemade cranberry sauce is the best - so yummy! Although I do have a soft spot in my hard for the kind out of a can... it tastes like jam!

Lindy Leech said...

I do something similar, though I use port instead of water and add orange or lemon zest.

Amy Greenan said...

I make the same cranberries, plus another version that includes grated fresh ginger, grated orange rind, and a few cloves -- not for everyone, but I love it!