Friday, November 14, 2008

meatball sandwiches.

meatballs

Okay, let me start with 2 thoughts: First thought- I hate ground beef. I mean, I love eating it, I don't even mind cooking it, but because I was vegetarian between the ages of 11-22, I never really got a feel for what ground beef was supposed to BE LIKE. Which is to say, whenever I open a package of ground beef, I am a little taken aback by the smell, and I get all freaked out thinking there's something wrong with it. We hardly eat any ground beef at all, but when we do, it drives me NUTS to have to be like "HONEY. COME SMELL THIS!" Second thought- OH MY GOD, THIS IS THE FIRST MEATBALL SANDWICH I HAVE EVER EATEN. Seriously. I uh... I don't really know why. I'm a recovering picky eater- even in the past 5 years my husband and I have been together, I have expanded my palate greatly. But as a kid and even as a teenager, I was insanely picky. I was one of those kids who would decide they didn't like something without ever trying it. As a result, I never had a pickle until I was 17! The first time I tried mustard I was 16! What is this ridiculousness? Of course, I now love pickles and mustard.

meatballs2

So, the verdict? DUH, MEATBALLS ARE AWESOME. Meatballs on bread, just as awesome as meatballs on pasta. Making meatballs is kind of a no-brainer, stir up a big gloppy bowl of raw ground beef (or whatever ground animal) and an egg, some bread crumbs, diced garlic and onion, and some seasoning. Form into balls and fry, and then cover with sauce. We just used regular ol' spaghetti sauce. I asked my husband about how to make a vegan meatball (he was vegan for 8 years, and even used to cook at a popular Portland vegan restaurant!) but he couldn't remember! Sorry vegans- the best he could give me was, "I don't know! Tofu? And some TVP? And breadcrumbs? Why are you asking me this right now?" (It is 9:30 on a Friday night. I'm barely functioning myself.)

meatballs3

The only thing that made these meatballs less delicious for me was pining for wild boar meatballs at Tanuki. We have a date night planned for next week and all I can think about is Japanese bar food. Whatever though, seriously- I can't believe I waited 25 years to actually have a meatball sub. What the hell?

meatballs4

Pssst- needs buffalo mozzarella.

10 comments:

Kersten said...

Num num. I like my meatball sandwiches saucy and incredibly messy. A little arugula and some buffalo would make a mighty tasty sandwich. Buffalo mozz=heaven!

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

My daughter showed me your blog and I'm a huge stalker now! These look so good!

Stacey Snacks said...

You never had a meatball sandwich?
You're obviously not from NJ!

We had meatball sliders this week on great ciabotta rolls for lunch w/ the leftover meatballs and sauce from last Sunday's dinner!
Yours look excellent!
Stacey Snacks

Karencilla said...

I thought I was the only one. I have the same feelings with ground beef. Like you i didn't mind eating it but cooking it... uhhh.

And I was very picky at young age.

It looks delicious. It reminds me of Lord of Sandwich's Cannonball Sandwich.

Hannah said...

i love meatballs. but really good meatballs. i've had some bad ones before. those look really good!

Jamie said...

There is an amazing "meatball" sandwich to be had at The Bye and Bye on Alberta. I wish I knew what they made those meatballs with. It has to be more than just tofu...

weshook said...

Mmmmm...meatball subs on fresh baked rolls, hot and saucy. Vegan meatballs? Probably TVP. I've made egg-free meatballs and meatloaf using moistened bread mushed with the ground meat to help it hold together. I haven't tried TVP alone, but I have added it to the ground meat to cut the amount of meat and worked well...shhhh, don't tell my husband that I snuck a non-meat product into his meatloaf.

TurtleGirl said...

Geez those look good!

I'm new to your blog...and really like it. For some time, whenever I'm cooking, I think, "I should take a picture of this and write about it on a blog," and then I discover you, already doing it! (And doing it so much better than I probably could!)

I, too, am a "recovering picky eater." I just recently tried asparagus for the first time, and I'm 35! I'm cooking with parsnips tonight for the first time ever, and I feel like a grown-up.

And I've never had a meatball sandwich. I love meatballs with pasta, and your pic has inspired me to make my very own meatball sub. So, thanks for the inspiration!

Lisa said...

What a cool blog. I just found ya and have been checking you out. Awesome photos and recipes! I'll shall return often. I added ya to my Google reader.

CrowMolly said...

Awesome! And thanks for the link to Tanuki! I don't get over to the west side for dinner enough. Will have to try it out.