Thursday, October 23, 2008

donut muffins.



Alice: "Do you want to bake something and come meet us at the park?"
Me: "Sure. I can probably have something ready within a half hour."
Alice: "What would be good on this cold and blustery day?"
Me: "Warm muffins."
Alice: "Oh, yes. Something muffiny would be great."
Me: "Pumpkin? Apple? Banana-Nut?"
Alice: "Hmmm..."
Me: "Or I could make muffins that taste just like donuts with sugar on top."
Alice: "YES. THOSE."


I am quite sure that the idea of a muffin that doubles as a donut is an idea that appeals to almost everybody. Few people don't enjoy the special sweet taste that a donut has and the unarguable comfort of a warm homemade muffin. I was first introduced to this idea quite a few years ago. I was vegan back then and had a couple failed attempts at making my own, resulting in muffins that were terribly heavy and quite un-donutlike. It wasn't until today that I decided to try again, using a recipe from Molly of Orangette. And this time, as I was slathering the right-outta-the-oven warm muffins in butter and dipping them in powdered sugar, I knew, damn, these are going to be good.

donutmuffins

And so we sat on the steps of Piccolo Park, happily enjoying our donut muffins while trying to keep our sugar-loving kids from eating the entire batch. We were aware of the yearning looks of onlookers, mainly children, who wished that they too could be sporting the powdered sugar moustaches that we had so deliciously acquired.





Donut Muffins: adapted from Orangette

Ingredients:

For muffins:
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole milk
1 teaspoon white or apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 large eggs
For topping:
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2-2 cups powdered sugar

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a standard-size muffin tin with cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg, and whisk to mix them thoroughly. Set aside.

Combine the milk and the vinegar in a measuring cup, and set aside.

Place the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or, alternatively, in a large mixing bowl with electric beaters nearby), and beat on medium speed for a few seconds, until the butter is soft and creamy. With the motor running, add the sugar in a steady stream. Continue beating, scraping down the sides of the bowl once or twice, until the mixture increases in volume and lightens to pale yellow. Add the eggs one at a time, beating until they are just combined.

With a wooden spoon, mix 1/4 of the flour mixture into the butter mixture. Add 1/3 of the milk mixture. Continue to add the dry and wet ingredients alternately, ending with the dries. Mix until the dough is smooth and well combined, but do not overmix.

Divide the batter between the cups of the muffin tin. Bake until the muffins are firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25-32 minutes.

When the muffins are cool enough to handle, prepare the topping: melt the butter in the microwave or on the stovetop, and pour the powdered sugar into a deep bowl. Using a pastry brush and working one muffin at a time, lightly brush the entire outside of the muffin with butter, and then roll it in the powdered sugar. Shake off any excess, and place the finished muffins on a rack or serving platter. Serve.

47 comments:

the projectivist said...

lovely pictures as always.
i'm going to have to make these tomorrow morning - but i need to add cinnamon to the top!

Joeli said...

I've made these before and they are fantastic.

hanna said...

I felt in love with this recipe. Yumm.
Love your pictures and your tights.

Thanks for inspiring me!

VeggieGirl said...

A donut & muffin, in one treat = heavenly.

leedav said...

I LOVE that last photo!

Jenn said...

We go camping this weekend andn I will be making these to take along:)

mw said...

I'd like to print your recipes at times, but it doesn't seem to work. I just get the banner. sidebar, and maybe one page of the post. Is there a way to print just the (whole) post? Thanks --

Tasha-Rose said...

can you use a lesser fatty milk? I buy 2% when I buy cow milk. I don't want to buy the whole and not use the entire container (the smallest I have available is 1/2 gallon!! sheesh!) How do you think using the lesser fat would effect the muffins?

teryll said...

Okay, I know how I'm spending my weekend now. Thanks for the recipe! BTW, I love your tattoos.

Thomas said...

dear god, woman, those sound amazing. I will make some tomorrow morning and hold you personally accountable!
google-reader-added!

msfiend said...

Mine are in the oven right now! You 2 keep inspiring me to bake.

maya said...

very interesting,donut+muffin who whoudlda though. lovely picture very autumn-y

Lael said...

I have been wanting to make these muffins since finding them in Molly's archives recently. This only encourages me more! Maybe I could even find a friend to share them with at a park, too...but the parks aren't nearly as beautiful here in West Texas as in the Northwest :(

Kiki said...

holy crow those look yummy.
I am so glad I found your blog and all of its yummy goodness.

Chocolatesa said...

Wow those sound like a great idea! And I can't get over the fact that you have "Bake" tatooed across your knuckles!!! Lolll XD

Kunsman Girls said...

Today I found a cast iron muffin tin at a garage sale. A few hours later, I clicked over to your website and... well, the rest is history. I scoured my new pan and created these amazing muffins immediately. Oh, my, they are amazing. I added small bits of apple to the second batch. Be still my heart.

nourishing mornings said...

wow looks so fantastic. what a good idea. love the pictures, they inspire me.

Kathryn said...

Mmmm those sound good, I'll have to try them!

Ashley said...

I just discovered your blog via Soule mama. Thanks for inspiring me to bake. They turned out pretty well for me, but I'm going to try again soon.

Miss Marie said...

OMG! Amazing. This is now in my top 5!

Birdie said...

I just made these...delicious!!! Thanks so much for sharing.

Birdie said...

Posted a link to you as well as a picture of my attempt on my blog (http://jbirdbrain.blogspot.com)
Thanks again!!

Bill said...

Yummy recipe! (Bad) photo and link posted here: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=33996582&l=50071&id=1315528

I, too, just found the blog from the broccoli link, and love it! Keep it up.

caretoeat.net said...

I love this. And we love how Portland you are. :)

phil_s_stein said...

These are pretty frackin' sweet. In some number of senses of the word. Up next - Donut+Muffin+Pie! :)

Here's my attempt: one and two.

Shannon said...

I made 'em, and they were perfect. Thank you for the recipe! I used cinnamon sugar rather than powdered sugar (as that's how I like my regular cake donuts). My husband and I both LOVE these muffins!

ELASTICWAISTBANDLADY said...

I NEVER try recipes that I see just posted randomly on blogs. This is one I'm going to try today though, for sure.

I have six kids. I might have to double or triple the recipe. Oh, who am I kidding? I'll probably sit around the rest of the day stuffing my face with this. I better quadruple the recipe.

Danette said...

Just made these and love them so yummy. I'm one of those new fans via the WTF broccoli and am thrill to have found you.

Kirstin said...

I made these last weekend and they were awesome! I like the idea of doing some in cinnamon and sugar too and will try some like that next time I make them. Great recipe.

Akheloios said...

Greeting from the satiated in the UK, these were great, I took the liberty of adding nutmeg and cinnamon to the top sugar and then caramelising under a grill.

s. said...

I made these this morning and they were fantastic. I took the extras to a friend's and she said they tasted like donut holes before I had even told her the name.

Stacey Snacks said...

I love your photography.
It is very special. Different from the rest!
Stacey Snacks

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

They look fantastic! An interesting recipe.

Cheers,

Rosa

Sandy Smith said...

I just love that you took a china plate to the park - so sweet. Adding you to my blog reader! Your blog is beautiful!

Melissa said...

Those look sooo yummy! I've been looking for a donuty cupcake recipe.

bird's eye view said...

love the tattoo! very cute and tough, all at the same time.

aleta meadowlark said...

Oooo! Baking Bites did a similar recipe (same name) that I just LOVE. They remind me of the doughnuts you get at a Chinese food buffet, except marginally better for you. Yours look just lovely, though!

Geosomin said...

Oh thank you.
I crave muffins like...well...muffins.
I'm always up for a new muffin. :)

Carmen said...

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I love them!!

SavvySunshine said...

i always thought you were supposed to add a tablespoon (not a teaspoon) of vinegar to milk to make buttermilk. Is that the intention?

Summer (designismine) said...

savvysunshine: you can add either. Basically you just need enough vinegar to make the milk curdle. I have always just added one.

SavvySunshine said...

Thanks so much for the response. Those who tried have had success with your recipe, so I'll stick with that.

I'll be making them this weekend. I am SO looking forward to this.

Thanks a gain!

Meghan said...

Any idea how many this will make?

HollyRace said...

These look gorgeous - have you tried popping a little bit of jam in the middle to make jam doughnut muffins maybe?
Also, I have a question! - I always seem to have a problem when I mix my muffins - either I mxix them too much and they go hard and horrid or I don't mix them enough and they end up with little pockets of uncooked flour inside them - do you have a solution for how much to mix them?

Peter said...

These look absolutely amazing, I plan to make some this weekend for the hubby and I!

Heather said...

What could be better then muffins that taste like doughnuts. I love it. Thanks for sharing.
I'm having a link party featuring muffins I would love it if you would link up.

http://cookingwithmyfoodstorage.blogspot.com/2011/03/make-mix-french-breakfast-muffins-and.html

ShinedawnGruss said...

Honestly, I wish I could make this right this instance. Unfortunately, I don't have a kitchen in my college dorm (woe is me). I am saving this recipe for my next trip home! My family will appreciate my visit even more. Thank you!