Wednesday, October 29, 2008

chocolate sandwich cookies.



It has been a tough few days here in my household. I won't go into the details of the accident, but over the weekend, my three-year old managed to get his thumb completely crushed, resulting in fractured bones and hand surgery. He has been a real trooper when dealing with the pain, but he has still been quite scared and emotional at various points throughout the day. The good part for him, though, is that he is getting spoiled like crazy, which means new toys, tons of hugs and snuggling, and you guessed it, sweets.

This morning when he woke up, I told him that I was going to bake him whatever he wanted. After pulling out his cookbooks and sitting on my lap while I peered through recipes online, he decided on some Oreo-like chocolate sandwich cookies. We filled them with bright orange vanilla cream, perfect for Halloween. I think I have been enjoying them even more than he has- they are just so good when dunked in a tall glass of soy milk.







Chocolate Sandwich Cookies with Vanilla-Cream Filling: from Retro Desserts

Ingredients:

For Cookie Dough:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
1 large egg
For Vanilla-Cream Filling:
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
2 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a food processor or the bowl of an electric mixer, thoroughly mix together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar. While pulsing or on low speed, add the butter, then the egg. Process or beat until the dough is thoroughly blended and massed together. Drop rounded teaspoons of batter onto nonstick or parchment-lined cookie sheets at 2-inch intervals. With moistened fingers, round out the cookies and flatten them a little. Bake for 9 minutes, turning the pans once for even baking, until the cookies are set. Set the cookie sheets on a rack to cool.

To make the filling: Put the butter and shortening in a mixing bowl and, at low speed, gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar and vanilla, until blended. Turn the mixer up to high and beat for 2 or 3 minutes more, until fluffy.

With a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch tip, pipe teaspoon size blobs of filling onto the tops of half the cookies. Keeping the smooth bottoms of the cookies facing up, flip the remaining cookies on top of the filling and lightly press to form sandwiches.

23 comments:

Potiron said...

Hello!!! I hope will go well for your little tyke and for you, emotionally it must be horrendous seeing your baby suffer.... I'm a mom, I know.

Nothing quite like cookies to help get through the day!!!

I live in France and I ADORE Oreos, if you go on my blog (in French, sorry) you'll see how much I love them!!! We now can find some but your recipe seems so delicious I was wondering if after I have tried it you would let me translate it into French and post it on my blog.

Take care of yourself and your tyke!!!

Hugs from France,
Potiron

(bride.) said...

Oh my goodness! I hope your little guy is OK - it sounds like he's being pretty amazing. Best of luck with the recovery and all the accompanying cookies. :-D

maya said...

so holloween-y and so delicious looking, beautiful.

VeggieGirl said...

Yummy and festive!

leedav said...

Gah! So sorry for your little guy! Love those last two pictures- retro indeed.

Meghan said...

how many cookies does this recipe make? looks like the perfect yummy snack for the halloween party at school!

wanderluck said...

OUCH! Poor baby - I hope the thumb will heal properly. Mean as it sounds to say it, at least he's young enough for a good chance of a full recovery. My thumb's still healing from my own little accident a few months ago - no means as bad as his.

Hooray for these treats, though. They look quite tasty and relatively simple to make (as opposed to the Keller 'Oreos' that went through a craze a while ago). I was going to make cupcakes for an office party, but these look so tempting...

Deborah said...

I hope your little guy is okay! He apparently has great taste in cookies. Thank you.

Soon, Then said...

What a good mommy. Hope he feels better soon, how scary!

Jackie said...

Those look delicious!
They remind me of the Oreos I ate in Girl Scouts around Halloween time (Circa 1996) =]

refineddesigner said...

Hey ladies, just wanted to say how much I'm loving your blog. Keep it up.

Kristin
Washington, D.C.

hanna said...

i'm sure any little kiddo would feel better when cookies are involved. hope you all are doing well!

Heather said...

oh, those look so good! i'd break my finger for them! and i love the baby faces post, below. i had no idea!!

Karen said...

i'm so sad for your son... especially as i teach that age. poor baby. : (

i'm sure the cookies made him smile, though! i am imagining them all over his face ... lol

heidi said...

Oh goodness, poor little guy. Hope the worst of it is over!

Sayward Rebhal said...

Oh where oh where did you get the frosting squeeze bottle with decorator top??? I seriously *need* one of those!

Sayward Rebhal said...

Oh and ps because I was so excited about the frosting I forgot to say it - sorry for your little one and lots of well wishes for speedy recovery - both physical and emotional. And lots of sweets in the meantime! =)

HangryPants said...

Oh no! I hope your tiny tot is ok!

These look excellent. Much better than the Halloween Oreoes!

dan said...

good luck with the little man...thanks for all the work you guys do

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Sorry for your little guy! I just stepped out to pick up lunch with my favorite mommy co-worker and we were talking about the "dangers" of toddlerdom...only to come back and see your post! I hope he's feeling better...I sure would with those cookies. :-)

I love your blog...it's my new favorite lunchtime treat.

kate said...

oh! you're killin' me! poor little dude. i can't imagine.

the cookies look fab. i hope they comforted him!

Lynna said...

Thanks for the idea. I'm going to a Halloween party tomorrow and I was trying to think of something festive and yummy to bring and these looked great.

I made them today and changed the cookie recipe a little by adding 2oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped and half brown, half white sugar. I used cake mate orange frosting bc for some reason I think it's quite delicious. They are so tasty! I'll be blogging about it later.

jessibeaucoup said...

I'm so sorry for your little one - please keep us updated on his recovery.

I made this today and OMG so so so good!! I'm taking them to an election party on Tuesday so, natch, I used blue filling. Super easy and super delish - thank you!