Monday, October 20, 2008

baked acorn squash rings.



I fully admit that I have never been a fan of squash. The idea of it, especially since it is generally such a beautiful family of vegetables, has always appealed to me, but I have always been disappointed by the taste and texture (other than butternut squash soup, which just happens to be our next post). This isn't to say that I hadn't been open-minded to continuing to try it in different ways. With squash season fully upon us, I decided to start buying them to experiment with. The first one was a massive pink banana squash that I chopped up (with our rather dull kitchen knives, resulting in some wretched hand pain) and put into our crock pot with apples, spices, and sugar. Yet again, I was not impressed. That was until today.

While Alice was still at our house this afternoon after photographing the apple tart, I thought it would be fun to throw something quick together, mainly for another photo opportunity. I wanted to keep with harvest theme so I grabbed an acorn squash off our porch that was mixed in with our hand-picked pumpkins and started slicing it up into rings, an idea that came from the classic Martha Stewart Cookbook. I then followed the rest of the directions and chatted while they baked and I waited for the results. And you know what? I have discovered a brand new love of squash. This was more scrumptious than I can describe, the kind of food that has you shoveling forkful after forkful in your mouth with mutterings in-between of "Oh my God". Further proof of how good it tasted was that we had quite a few adorable little rings and flower-shaped pieces of squash meant to be photographed, but they were too quickly engulfed by Alice to make it to the camera. It is simplicity at its finest with only a small handful ingredients, but filled with so much flavor.



Baked Acorn Squash Rings: from The Martha Stewart Cookbook

Ingredients:

1 small acorn squash
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cut the unpeeled squash crosswise into 1/2-inch slices and place them on a cutting board. Using a biscuit cutter or cookie cutter slightly larger than the seed center, cut out the seeds from each ring and discard.

Place the squash rings on a lightly buttered baking sheet. Dot each ring with butter and season to taste. Sprinkle a bit of brown sugar over each ring.

Bake the squash for 15 minutes. Turn the rings over, dot with more butter and sugar, and bake until tender, 5 to 10 minutes longer. Serve hot.

8 comments:

j.cro said...

Can a person eat the skin on acorn squash like you can with delicata squash? I'd be curious to know.

misstiffie said...

That looks so tasty. I usually just bake off my acorn squash in halves but now (and I was actually planning on having that tonite) but now I might try it your way :] I love acorn squash rings, they're so pretty...

jetgirl said...

wow those look good, I'm sure you get asked every other post, but what kind of camera do you use?

gillian said...

I made a variation on this recipe after looking at the picture, and it was truly amazing.

1 acorn squash and 1 delicata squash, cut into thin rings
butter & honey glaze (2 tablespoons melted butter, 13 cup honey, salt & pepper)
1/2 cup toasted fresh-cracked walnuts
Butter for roasting squash

I roasted the squash with just the dots of butter, toasted the walnuts, then mixed everything together with the sauce and roasted for five minutes more.

It was part of a huge Greek inspired meal, so we wanted it to taste a little like baklava, and it did, in the best possible way.

I didn't believe you guys about shoveling in ACORN squash, my least favorite, while gasping about god, but it happened to me too!

Three Left Hands said...

Is there an easy way to cut acorn squash? I don't have the best knife, and I'm afraid of slicing my finger. Thanks! The recipe looks amazing and I can't wait to try it.

Carissa Byers said...

This was sooooo gooooooooood. I'm with commenter three left hands on the cutting thing. And I have a good knife!

Bexx B. said...

oh damn! I hearts me some squash big time! And anything with brown sugar.. YUM!

Lifetime Mothers said...

Don't throw out the seeds! Acorn squash seeds are the BEST! Better than pumpkin!