Wednesday, October 8, 2008

apple pie.



As you can tell, I have now hit my official "Autumn-baking obsession," which means I basically only want to bake foods associated with the season. Sure, I still will make the occasional chocolate comfort food (keep a look-out for M&M cookies coming soon), but it has to go along with something with that fall-like spiciness that I cannot get enough of. So, yesterday morning I decided that I couldn't go another day without baking an apple pie. I purchased a bunch of beautiful apples of all different varieties at the farmer's market on Saturday and they were just begging to be used in a pie.





Alice showed me an extremely easy way to do the lattice top (I have always done the weaving technique) which she learned from Alton Brown. I searched on the internet for detailed instructions and found this page and this video. Lattice tops always make a lovely addition to any double-crust pie.





Apple Pie: recipe adapted from a vintage pie dish

Ingredients:

4 cups apples, cored, peeled & diced
2/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons whole milk
2 tablespoons butter
pastry for 2 pie crusts (as usual, I used this recipe)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Roll out 1 pie crust and place in a pie dish. Combine apples, sugar, flour, and spices in a large bowl. Put the apple mixture in the pie dish. Dot the top with the butter and drizzle with milk. Top with the second pie crust.
Bake for 50-60 minutes, until the crust is golden.

14 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Marvelous pie!

maggie said...

What beautiful photographs. Just found your blog and am really enjoying it—fun to see what another pair of cooks are up to in their kitchens!

Jesse said...

Milk in with the apples? So interesting. Is this how you keep the apples from drying out? I've never successfully made a lattice top pie without drying out the fruit. This sounds like a good solution.

The Fabulous One said...

Lordy, I'm not even a big apple pie fan and I'm drooling. (I did have some lovely apple popovers last weekend, though...)

Now I feel like baking... and I just did that tonight!

the projectivist said...

there's such a calm serenity to those pictures.
beautiful as always.

One Happy Tree said...

OMG thanks for the recipe! I've always wanted to bake and apple pie and I told myself THIS YEAR I will do it! Yours looks scrumptious!

mysweetestday said...

that looks so pretty...your pictures are amazing! and i love your tattoo :]

Megan said...

I LOVE your blog so much and have become a fan over the past few months. You two make me want to cook something amazing everytime I read a post. Your Fall recipes have been awesome ... and so excited to see the M&M cookie one in the future!

Caviar and Codfish said...

Just found your site and am very impressed... and in love with that last photo.

Looking forward to reading your posts.

Heather said...

mmm i love the latticing! it's beautiful! that picture of the pie in the window is beautiful!

Shannon said...

Lovely photographs! Even though it's breakfast time here I could eat that apple pie RIGHT NOW!

allison said...

I must say, I enjoy your blog sooo much! I've tried numerous recipes and they've been a hit with everyone :)
Keep up the good work!
- Allison (a fellow portlander!)

Jon Dean said...

Making this tonight for my mom's birthday! Looks delicious.

Scorpion Agency said...

I've tried many different apple pie recipes over the years and I must say that I was a bit skeptical about this one at first. I was surprised that when i first bit into it, that my taste buds went crazy. I was truly amazed on the results of this one. it's been added to my personal cook book. Thanks for sharing :)