Tuesday, August 5, 2008

a nice bowl of porridge.



I admit that I have never liked oatmeal as far as hot cereal goes. The snot-like texture doesn't quite sit well with my stomach and even with bits of chocolate and fruit, I have never really been able to get past it. That is, however, until I discovered steel-cut oats, which has a much more desirable (at least to me) texture. It never fails to make a nice breakfast cereal, especially when combined with fruit and spices.

This recipe is just an outline for a morning porridge, which can easily be altered to your taste. Experiment with different fruits (fresh and/or dried), nuts, sweeteners, and milks (I plan to try coconut milk next)- the options are endless.



Simple Porridge

Ingredients:

4 cups water
1 cup steel-cut oatmeal
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk or cream
1/4 cup brown sugar (or maple syrup or honey)
1/2 cup raisins (or other dried fruit, chopped)
dash of cinnamon
fresh fruit and/or toasted nuts for topping

Directions:

In a medium sized saucepan bring the 4 cups of water to boil. Sprinkle the oatmeal over the boiling water, stirring constantly to prevent any lumps from forming. Add the salt and reduce the heat to low and allow the porridge to simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in milk or cream, brown sugar, raisins (or other dried fruit). Top with a dash of cinnamon and fresh fruit/nuts.

7 comments:

Christy said...

Steel cut oats?? I've never heard of that before, but since I share your sentiments on normal oats, i might just give this one a try. Lovely photos!!

Alicia Carrier said...

ugh, i hate the word "snot." i like rolled oats, personally- but i always put a bit of cream or whole milk in it to smooth out the consistency.

sayward said...

Mmm, steel cut oats are my favorite. =)

Also, The Tin Shed in North Portland has an amazing breakfast sticky rice porridge cooked in coconut milk and topped with fresh mango. So good!

Manger La Ville said...

Steel Cut Oats are soo good. I hate oatmeal but I will eat this stuff. Plus with a good cup of tea from Les Marriages Freres and fresh cut fruit. So yummy!

Nate-n-Annie said...

I love steel cut oats! I do them "Alton Brown style" and toast the oats in butter before adding the water.

Options for condiments are endless. I like craisins and ground flax seed.

Auvery Eva said...

just had a switch from rolled oats to oat meal this week. I like ground almonds or rice flakes in porridge, occasionally dessicated coconut. Sometimes if I imagine it might be a summery day the next day I do away with the cooking bit and soak porridge, coconut, sunflower seeds and chopped dates over night - guess it's sort of muesli. As ever lovely photos....

H-Bomb said...

I just wanted to thank you for this recipe. My wife and I tried Steel-Cut oats in the crock pot a few months ago and it was just a mushy, gelatinous, flavorless mess in the morning. This recipe, however, is such a rich, creamy, warm bowl of awesome in the morning. I've been having it about twice a week for the past two months, and it doesn't get old. I've tried with Maple Syrup and Golden Raisins, but it just wasn't as good. Thank you for getting me to love steel cut oats. The brown sugar gives it just the right amount of sweetness and the cream makes it so smooth. YUM! *finishes bowl of oats*