Wednesday, April 30, 2008

the best vegan brownies. i swear.



As much as I love cupcakes, pies, cookies, and other delicious confections, when it comes to sweets I am completely infatuated with brownies. They are one of the few desserts that have a high chance of completely vanishing within twenty-four hours after baking them. Being a complete chocoholic, they just always seem to hit the spot.

When I was vegan a couple of years ago, I made it my goal to create desserts that tasted the same (if not sometimes better) than their non-vegan counterparts. I was constantly in the kitchen experimenting, discovering new methods, and trying out dozens of egg/dairy-free recipes from a variety of sources. For some reason, though, I could never find a brownie recipe that really had the chewiness and fudginess of the traditional one. That is until I found this one, which has never failed to produce a sinfully rich and chewy brownie. Enjoy.



The Best Vegan Brownies Ever

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup water
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 11 x 17" or 9 x 13" pan.
Boil water and 1/2 cup of the flour in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until it reaches the consistency of a gluey paste. Remove from heat and let cool.
Mix sugars, salt, vanilla, cocoa and oil. Then add the rest of the flour-water mixture and mix well. Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups of flour and baking powder, mix well, and then stir in the chocolate chips and nuts (if you're using them). The end mixture will be rather thick.
Spread the mixture into your baking pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes. These are much better when completely cooled.

17 comments:

kot-conservator said...

!I so like all these pics of food! looks so tasty!

gagan said...

I made these yesterday with almonds...and after I tasted them, I had to make another batch...really yummy!!!

Carlianney said...

i just made these and i am gleefully eating the crumbs and crusts right now. i might not sleep tonight, but it's all worth it!

The Voracious Vegan said...

YUM! I've been in the mood for brownies lately and these look just gooey and fudgey enough to hit the spot. I WILL be making these this weekend, to enjoy with a nice frosty glass of soy milk. Thank you!

I'm Philippa O said...

i'm struggling to find a really fool-proof vegan brownie recipe so i'll definitely give this one a try!

Vegetation said...

I made these yesterday (and blogged them). They are most definitely the fudgiest and best brownies myself and my omniverous family have ever tasted! They're definitely staying at number 1 of best vegan brownies around here!

Tanya said...

I'm SO making these. I found your recipe here via another blog. Thanks to her too! They look so tasty.

I'm Philippa O said...

i've made these so any times, they're such a hit!

Tanya said...

I just made these and they're delicious! I made a couple of changes....will blog about them tomorrow :)

Tara Tiger Brown said...

THANKS! I saw your comment on Alix's post - I'm the Tara she was referring to in trying to find an amazing vegan brownie recipe. They turned out soooo good. Definitely need them to cool though so they don't taste too "floury."

Girl Behind the Glass said...

I just made them and since I have no patience, I ate one warm.. and then I ate another one and then I gave my husband one topped wtih vegan ice cream and he loved it (and he isn't vegan.. yet) They are deep and rich and fudgy and yummy! Thanks!

James said...

I just made these, but found 20-25 minutes wasn't enough to crust over the whole top (my pan might have been smaller so a thinker brownie. I put them in for another 20 minutes or so for a good crust and then put them in the freezer to harden up for cutting.

bakingforhersoul.com said...

I tried half a batch of these but I added in a mixture of 1 tablespoon of melted Earth Balance and 1/4 cup melted semisweet chocolate chips to make them more chocolatey and gooey. I was worried they'd end up too greasy and I messed up the fat content too much, but they were just perfect. Actually, next time I'll probably take them out at 18 minutes or so instead of the 22 I had them in there for, because I prefer them a little more gooey in the middle. They were just a tad cakey on the outer edges, but still moist and flavorful for the most part! Love this, thanks for sharing! Next time I will add nuts.

bakingforhersoul.com said...

Update: Made these again and realized that mine were on the cakey side because I did half of a batch and didn't reduce the time. This time I followed the recipe exactly, except added extra chocolate chips. These are amazing. Going to make them again!

Lis said...

I love these brownies, all 6 of my kids love them, and my chocolaholic husband loves them too!! I do one side with nuts and one without and everyone is in heaven.

Unknown said...

i did a batch almost exactly like the recipe but with a little lavender extract. i underbaked them and they were still a little more dry and crumbly than i wanted. i also had to press them very thin to fill the whole pan. I did a second batch but made the roux with almond milk instead of water, added a flax egg to the wet mixture (1 TB flax meal plus 3TB water), increased the lavender extract to 3/4 tsp (testing the recipe for a brownie social so i wanted them to be special), added about a TB of oil and around an extra TB cocoa (eyeballed both of those though). I then baked them in a 9x9 pan and STILL baked them for only 17-18 minutes. NOW theyre moist, fudgy, dark, a little floral, and perfect. [: thanks for the inspiration! i've never seen a brownie recipe with roux in it before!

Unknown said...

i know the original post is old, but i just had to comment. you're right, they are absolutely the best vegan brownies ever, and probably hands-down the best brownies ever (i am on my second month of veganism). i have never been a sweets-binger, but there is something so dense and fudgy and chocolate-y about them that makes you just keep reaching for the next and the next and the next.

also, try using them to make ice cream sandwiches (with coconut milk ice cream!). i had 2 in a row last night.